Ad by nia_gichi

Forum

831 posts    Identified fonts    Requests only

Posts by metaphasebrothel

How about Lost World, by Shrine of Isis? http://www.dafont.com/lost-world.font

Edited on Dec 14, 2013 at 19:49 by metaphasebrothel

Dec 12, 2013 at 06:04  [reply]  About commercial use

(A Deep Thought by Jack Handey).

You could try sending a private message to the Webmaster: http://www.dafont.com/pm/post.php?user=2

I doubt that any action will be taken. It looks like he has made a poor quality knock off of the black and white .jpeg in the second link. That's not copyright infringement. If you had made a vector image, and he had used your vector in his font, it would be a different story. Given the poor quality of his image, it's unlikely that he is costing you any income, from this facsimilie. Taking into account that DaFont is based in France, and the font creator is in Spain, you have no legal grounds to demand that the font be removed. The fact that his font is free is important, from a legal perspective, because you could have no claim to earnings from his creation, because they're aren't any.

What he appears to have done is very common among Dingbat fonts. All of my fonts are based on artwork or photographs downloaded from the Internet. I manually trace the multicoloured images to two colours, import them in monochrome bitmap form into my font editor, and modify the vector image that the font editor creates. What I end up with is substantially different from what I started with, and that makes all the difference, legally.

Woodcutter may have found your drawing through an images search on a search engine, without ever visiting your blog page. If you don't want people to use your work for other purposes, you should consider adding a watermark, in a colour that would turn black, if converted to monochrome. You might not approve of what he did, but I don't think you have any grounds to prevent him from so doing.

Dec 12, 2013 at 00:07  [reply]  Change to large

stephc@rochester.rr.com, your post doesn't make it clear what you've done, and what your problems are. Since you're using Windows XP and Firefox, as am I, (this information is displayed, for forum moderators), This is what I do:

1) Click the download button. Unless you have changed the default settings, the .zip file download will be saved in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\ <(login name)>\ My Documents\ Downloads. You can check to see if the file has downloaded by choosing Tools in the Firefox menu bar, and selecting "Downloads" from the menu list, (or depressing the Ctrl keyboard key, touching the j key, and removing your fingers from both keys.

In the Downloads folder in My Documents, the size of the .zip file icon will depend on what View setting you're using. The smallest sized icon will appear for the Details or List view. The largest sized icon will appear for Thumbnails, and medium sized icons will appear for the Tiles and Icons view settings. You can only use one View setting at a time, within a window of Explorer, but you can enable different Views for different Explorer windows open at the same time.

To use the fonts, you must extract the font files from the .zip download, and install them. If you don't have a custom archiving program installed, right-click on the icon from the .zip file download, and select Extract from the shortcuts menu. If you have a custom archive program installed, you would double-click on the .zip icon.

If you used the right-click procedure, read the instructions in the Extraction Wizard - it's very simple, for the most part, you just click the Next button, until the Finish button appears. Either of these methods will create a file folder within the same folder as the .zip download. Inside that folder will be the font files - either .ttf or .otf file type - it will be the icon with two overlapping T's, or an O.

Cut or copy the font file to the Fonts folder in your Windows operating system. the location in My Computer is C:\Windows\Fonts. Once installed, you can use the font in programs like MS Word, Excel and Notepad, or in additional software you may have installed, that uses installed fonts.

If you've done all of this, and the Text display is 'medium' in a document, you need to select the text, and change the point size, to make it bigger or smaller.

~bito

leenisabel, this is what the c - 0099 glyph looks like in the Pole Dance font:

If your copyrighted artwork substantially resembles THIS image, you might have a case. If the image above looks 'a little' like your artwork, you would not. No law is broken, when someone creates a vector 'inspired' by an existing piece of artwork. You may want to do some research on the "Fair Use" provision in American copyright law. The case of Associated Press vs. Shepard Fairey is a similar situation, in which Fairey created drawings based on an Associated Press photograph of Barrack Obama.

If Woodcutter downloaded a picture that you posted on the Internet, and made a font vector from that, and does not charge for its use, I don't believe that he has broken any law.

~bobistheowl

Dec 11, 2013 at 21:47  [reply]  font search

There's a search field at the top of every DaFont browser window, at upper right. You can search by font name, or by the name of the designer/ foundry. Type in what your searching for, then click the button called "Search".

Try Martin Vogel's Symbols, http://www.dafont.com/martin-vogels-symb.font, or the Mac equivalent of the Windows standard fonts Wingdings 1, 2 & 3.

Try the e-mail address on the designer's profile page, aurilianlk@gmail.com

Many 1990s era fonts made with Fontographer have rectangles for the glyph when there's no image - check the character map for Fantasy Clipart 2, http://www.dafont.com/fantasy-clipart2.font to see what I mean.

For alternatives among fonts available on DaFont, try browsing through the 21 pages in the Dingbats -> Shapes Theme: http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=710 Most of the fonts in Dingbats -> Shapes aren't what you're looking for, but if there's something here that would suit your purpose, that's where you'd find it.

~bobistheowl

Dec 03, 2013 at 00:26  [reply]  Typical font approval time?

Steve, the Webmaster at DaFont does a number of things, before posting new submissions:

1) Judges whether the quality of the font is up to site standards.

2) Checks to make sure that the glyphs are in the correct positions.

3) Checks to see if the font causes any problems with any of a number of different operating systems.

4) Checks to make sure that the font is not a 'knock off' of a previously copyrighted design.

5) Other checking that I don't know about.

New fonts are posted in batches. If a lot of fonts, (or very few), are submitted in a specific period of time, this can affect how promptly new submissions are posted. In addition, priorities in life and previous commitments can also affect how quickly new submissions are processed by the Webmaster. A few years ago, new fonts were processed every 3-5 weeks.

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:35  [reply]  help with 2 fonts please

Actually, it doesn't look like they used and altered a BeautyMarks glyph. This is the .jpeg source I used for BeautyMarks:

So I guess I enhanced the ass, rather than they made it smaller. I modified a smaller version of this picture for the font:

(my resized and manually traced original source graphic for the font, composed for monochrome).

and I suppose I enhanced the bum, in the font editor, as artistic license. There's probably a vector on which the .jpeg is based, and they probably used that. There's much less detail to the hair, in my version. There's only so much detail you can add, when the palette is 280 pixels high.

~bito

Nov 26, 2013 at 09:58  [reply]  help with 2 fonts please

I don't recognize the text, but the picture is the lower case p from BeautyMarks http://www.dafont.com/beautymarks.font, with a smaller ass.

~bobistheowl

Edited on Nov 26, 2013 at 10:02 by metaphasebrothel

explogos.com said  
...metaphasebrothel - Thanks so much for your feedback. I do think the spacing is a touch too tight and will probably increase the bearings for the final version. Regarding the 'y'... could you be more specific about what it is you don't like?...

It's the flat section under the left stroke; it makes it look like the glyph is in two pieces.

The base line is off, as well. The glyph is entirely above the base line; some part of the tail should be below.

~bobistheowl

Not, bad, Steve. You've done a good job with the letter spacing, which most designers don't get right, the first time. I think you should modify the lower case y.

Actually, Baville, the irregularities don't make you font somewhat unique. They make your font the same as every other rough edged hand printed alphabet that isn't edited after the source graphics are imported.

Your font isn't terrible, for a first effort. It could, however, have been better, and we'll expect that from your next one.

~bito

The definition of Free for Personal Use, ('FFPU'), varies from designer to designer in most cases, it distils to this 'if you intend to make some money from using the font, the designer expects to be compensated'.

For some designers, the font available for download on DaFont is, effectively, an advertisement for the full featured version; it may have fewer glyphs, or there may be physical restrictions on how the font can be used, usually in the embedding settings, (ie: you might be able to use the FFPU version in a Microsoft Word document, but you might not be able to print the document).

In most FFPU fonts, there is a specified fee for any commercial use. In some cases, the fee is dependent on how the font is to be used commercially, (ie: it might be free to use to advertise a performance by an unsigned band, but a fee would apply, if the font was used for titles on their CD or concert memorabilia). Some other fonts are Donationware, in which case, the amount one pays is variable, in accordance with the user's ability to pay, like a collection plate in a house of religious worship.

A library earns income, but only in nickels and dimes for books returned late, and not nearly enough to cover their costs. At the same time, however, this would not be strictly personal use, like if a student used a font for a homework essay, or someone prints notices for a lost cat. Without knowing which font(s) you're considering using, there's no way to give you a definitive answer.

It looks like most designers' first font. You stuck your toe in the water, but didn't swim. It's no better, nor worse, than a thousand other hand printed alphabets.

The large number of glyphs is a nice touch. Technically, it's about average for a free font from a first time designer. It would look a lot better if you edited the glyphs in your font editor; there are too many unnecessary nodes, which make the lines too rough. I don't use FontCreator, but you should be able to right-click on a node, and delete it. Less is more applies to the nodes that define your contours.

What the M looks like:

What the M looks like, after two minutes of editing:

~bobistheowl

Nov 16, 2013 at 23:11  [reply]  Fonts for Commercial Use

osholene said  
Hello, thanks for your response again. I sent my first email to webmaster@dafont.com. Please how can I access the font, "chams" by Tom Tor.

Thank you.

Contact information for Tom Tor, author of Chams, is contained on his profile page:

http://www.dafont.com/profile.php?user=183591

and another contact e-mail address is on his site, http://tomtor.com, and in the Note of the author for his font Khmer, one of his three other fonts. This information was obtained without leaving DaFont. You should have been able to figure that out yourself, osholene.

Mod helps those who help themselves.

Menhir said  
And try to disable the Windows option "hide the extensions" (I don't know how to do that with W7) to know exactly the type of files that you use.

Hidden file extensions make it easier to rename files. Most people can recognize a file type by the icon.

Nov 09, 2013 at 19:19  [reply]  What's that font pleaaase

Suggested font: Clementine Sketch

All times are CEST. The time is now 21:53

Privacy Policy  -  Contact