Forum

831 posts    Identified fonts    Requests only

Posts by metaphasebrothel

No one makes professional fonts with FontCreator.

Professionally designed fonts, made on a work-for-hire basis for the exclusive use of a client, would probably cost somewhere in the $100,000 range. The completion time would be in the six months to two years range.

A shitty amateur font can be made in half an hour.

What you need to do is go to Myfonts.com or Fonts.com or the home page of a professional designer or foundry, find a font that your client likes, and buy a commercial use license.

FontAddict said  
... i'm just a kid and i dont have credit card or paypal or any way to pay you gus online. please reconsider it would be great help for my projects... i'm an amateur audio editor making instrumentals out of songs (popular/latest release). just like the image provided below v - i'm making cover arts for my instrumentals so i'm looking for a font that cannot be found in the web or anywhere and that is a custom made font...in short i didn't know making fonts requires skills

So, you're "a kid" who makes CDs, but not for profit, and you need an exclusive font for this, but you didn't know it takes skill to make a font. At least some of that story isn't true, son.

You should browse through some of the pages on Luc Devroye's site, http://luc.devroye.org/fonts.html. Among font designers, look at the work of Manfred Klein, Dieter Steffmann and Peter Wiegel in particular, all of whom have produced many high quality fonts in the genre you seek.

Manfred Klein: You will not be able to contact him. He retired from typography in 2008, to care for his wife, who was quite ill. Based on anecdotal information from a knowledgeable third party, I believe he was experiencing symptoms of Alzheimer's Disease around that time. If you want to use any of his fonts commercially, make a donation to a charitable foundation of your choice.

Dieter Steffmann: As far as I can tell, the conditions to use a Dieter Steffmann font commercially are that you ask politely on the comments section of his site, and he grants permission to people who show him this measure of respect. I don't think there is ever a fee involved.

Peter Wiegel: Peter does free, free for personal use, and commercial fonts. You'd want to check the terms of use for the font in question, if you plan to use one of his.

All three of these gentlemen have huge numbers of fonts available on DaFont, and many more available elsewhere.

Mar 16, 2014 at 20:23  [reply]  Can't Find A Font I Had!

Why not just retrieve it from your recycle bin, or whatever that's called on Mac, and install it again?

At the top of the DaFont browser window, there's a link called "Themes". The Thunderbirds are Go font is in the Fancy -> Western category. Why not browse through the Fancy -> Western category, for other similar fonts?

FontAddict said  
hey everyone,is it possible for someone who can make a custom font for me? i need a calligraphic type of font custom made.

thanks

No one ever needs a new font, you just ♦want♦ one. You don't quite know what you want, you just know that you want someone to make it for you, for FREE, because it would be 'a great help for [your] projects'.

If you said: "I need someone to clear the rocks and trees from this 100 hectares plot of land, plough the ground, plant cotton, pick the cotton and clean it, for free. I need it for my clothing factory.", do you think anyone would volunteer?

Here's a better idea: Sit on a street corner with a sign around your neck that reads "Need Money for Fonts". If each person who walks by gives you only 1% of their monthly income, within a few years, you should have enough money to hire someone to make custom fonts for you.

swedshcrafter, if you were planning to release the font 'as is', it would, indeed be 'rubish', (sic). It appears to me that you make fonts by importing monochrome bitmaps into your font editor, as opposed to drawing the glyphs with the font editing tools.

I use imported bitmaps, and modify them in the editor. The program I use, ScanFont 3, is well suited for that. Unfortunately, it's no longer sold, and it doesn't work with Windows operating systems more recent than XP. It's also a completely different product than the ScanFont 5 currently sold by FontLab. SF 3 is a stand alone font editor; SF 5 is a plug-in for FontLab's Studio5 product.

koeiekat's comment about '2048 units per em' is related to my comment about the 1435 caps height. It involves a change to the vertical metrics and dimensions. I know how to do that with Studio5, but not with FontCreator.

There should be a tool in FontCreator that would allow you to 'zoom in' the view of a glyph to enormous sizes. If you use an enlarged view, you'll see that quite a number of lines that should be exactly straight, aren't. You might not see the errors at 72 points, but when the text size is changed, they will be noticeable. If you have a viewing option for 'guidelines' or 'hints', enable it. This should display horizontal and vertical guidelines. For a horizontal or vertical straight line, the guideline should pass directly through the center of both nodes. You should do that at maximum enlargement, because a the margin of error may be small.

In this enlarged view of the top of your P, note that an unnecessary node causes the line to not be straight:

Here's a before and after, with about a minute of clean up - note that horizontal and/ or vertical alignments of your nodes can help with the design:

~bobistheowl

I can't help anyone to do this. I don't have a version of FontCreator that can open .fcp file type. I thought I could, when I made this post originally. This portion was added on November 28, 2014.

A few comments:

1) your kerning, (space between glyphs), is way off on the capital J, the lower case a, and numbers 0 and 4.

2) The S needs to be taller. I think it's currently the same height as the flat topped letter; the letters with curved tops should be slightly taller, so they 'appear' to be the same height. Notice how it appears to be smaller than the T at both the top and the bottom:

3) The capital O and the zero are really bad. You have way too many nodes on the exterior, which gives them the 'Flintstones' look, when enlarged. I don't use FontCreator, but it probably has a feature whereby you can right-click on a node, and select 'delete'.

Conventional wisdom would use exactly four nodes on the perimeter of the O and zero, at North, South, East and West, but it can be done with three.

4) You should look into the Caps Height settings. Although the glyphs appear to be 'normal size', the caps height of 1435 is a bit more than double what it should be, (usually somewhere between 680 - 715)

I used the zip file from claudeserieux, and Studio5 to generate the font files.

~bobistheowl

Edited 3 times. Last edit on Nov 28, 2014 at 06:10 by metaphasebrothel

Mar 12, 2014 at 06:54  [reply]  FONT USE

Inside the download .zip file is a text document named "Read me". Read the Read Me, and you'll be able to answer your own question.

In each of the forums, the threads with the most recent posts are at the top of the list. If someone is impatient, needs instant gratification, or if they have waited a reasonable period of time without a reply from someone, they post "Bump" to move their post to the top of the list. The length of time between the original post and the bump pretty well determines the motive of the person who made the post in the first place.

With font identifications, when someone recognizes the font, it's usually on the same day someone asked for the ID. If the ID request drops down to the second page, chances are good that no one here here knows the name of the font.

Pf weldy, it sounds like you're trying to install the .zip file instead of the font.

A .zip file is a compressed archive that can contain more than one file. The size of the .zip file is smaller than the size of the files inside, sort of like if you sit on a full suitcase, to be able to close it. Because .zip archives are smaller, they use up less disk space on your computer, they can be downloaded faster, and they use less bandwidth for the transfer from DaFont to your computer.

Probably about half of the download .zips on DaFont contain more than one file - often there are more than one style of the font, and/ or there's a read me or commercial use license document, and sometimes a graphic or character guide. If the files were not in a .zip, you would have to make a separate download for each file, and a lot of people would just download the font - which isn't what the designer of the font wants.

Try right clicking on the picture icon for the Respective font, and look for an option in the menu to Extract, in other words, to move the files that are in the .zip to a folder that's not compressed. After you have extracted the files, you'll be able to recognize the font file(s) by the picture icon. Do a right-click on a font file, and select "Install" from the menu, for Windows Vista.

Mar 06, 2014 at 10:31  [reply]  Zapfino font for free?

trlenz said  
...Does anyone know if there is a reason why zapfino is part of the Mac OS software, but cannot be obtained without purchasing a license for PC?

From MyFonts:

"Today’s digital font technology has allowed renowned type designer Hermann Zapf to realise a dream he first had more than fifty years ago: to create a fully calligraphic typeface. Zapf began work on Zapfino in 1993, in technical collaboration with David Siegel and Gino Lee, who were responsible for the initial digitization. The initial PostScript and TrueType versions were completed and released by Linotype as a set of six fonts. The current Zapfino ‘megafont’ for Apple Advanced Typography (AAT) and Open Type was built for Linotype Library by Tiro Typeworks. The new version includes additional diacritic characters for the Latin script languages of Central and Eastern Europe, the Baltic states, and Turkey.

Zapfino consists of four basic alphabets, with many additional stylistic alternates, which can be freely mixed together to emulate the variations in handwritten text. Because of the complexity of the design of Zapfino some tips on its use might be helpful:

1) When it is necessary to set words in all uppercase letters, such as abbreviations in text, use only the basic Zapfino capitals with plenty of letter spacing.

2) The more extravagant swash variants, especially those with long flowing ascenders and descenders, should be used sparingly. They should accentuate and ornament the text, not overpower it.

3) Although every care has been taken to carefully space and kern the Zapfino characters, and most variants can be freely mixed, some combinations of letters inevitably look better than others. Take the time to choose variants that will create pleasing word shapes and, in particular, beware of colliding descenders.

4) Line spacing, or leading, should be generous, to allow room for the many long ascenders and descenders. The longest of these might be best reserved for the first and last line of text, respectively, where they can flow freely into the upper and lower margin.

MyFonts only sells the original six weights/styles. The following others are probably in the ATT megafont:

ZapfinoExtraLT-Alternate
ZapfinoExtraLT-One
ZapfinoExtraLT-Two
ZapfinoExtraLT-Three
ZapfinoExtraLT-Four
ZapfinoExtraLT-Ligatures
ZapfinoExtraLT-Ornaments
ZapfinoExtraLT-Pro
ZapfinoExtraLT-SmCaps
ZapfinoForteLT-One
ZapfinoForteLT-Alternate
ZapfinoForteLT-Pro

If there are any others, I don't have them.

Heidelberger Druckmaschinen originally released at least two weights, (One and Two), around 1999, but perhaps only in .ttf.

Edited on Mar 06, 2014 at 17:31 by metaphasebrothel

Mar 05, 2014 at 19:43  [reply]  Zapfino font for free?

koeiekat said  
Due to the stupidity of some American software developers a digital typeface is now considered a font. As a result stupid American assholes think that they know something while in fact they know shit.

Drown or kill yourself otherwise dumbo.

The next post like this from you will get you a ten day ban from the forum, koeiekat. You know that I can do that, with a couple of mouse clicks. Consider this to be your yellow card.

@trienz: To quote you, "This conversation is over." Don't reopen it, in this thread, or another one in the English forum. If you want to spar with the cat, do it in the French, Spanish, Italian or Portuguese forums. I don't read those. You're in thin ice, as well.

If either of you think I'm bluffing, try me.

~bobistheowl

Mar 03, 2014 at 07:50  [reply]  Classic font with diacritic

It would surprise me if those glyphs are not included in Lobster: http://www.dafont.com/lobster.font

You should do a Windows search of your C: Drive, for both .ttf and .otf - be sure to include the period, so the search will be for file type, rather than name. You'll be able to see the folder address in the results. If it's not currently in your fonts folder, copy/ paste a copy into fonts. Don't cut/paste, however, because it's probably supposed to be where it is now. Keep in mind that the search results will show the file names of the fonts, rather than the internal font names. for example, the font named Century Schoolbook Italic has file name SCHLBKI.TTF

@TheCrafterian: 36 people downloaded your font; 36 people didn't buy it. Every font on DaFont is free to download, and at minimum, free to for personal use. Some, but not all, fonts are also free for commercial use. By making your font Donationware, you are providing a means for people to chose an amount to pay you, IF your font is used commercially, or IF they want to 'toss you a bone' for the time you took to make it.

By the way, 36 downloads on the first day strongly suggests that your font will not be very popular. A lot of people just collect fonts, like other people collect stamps or figurines of elephants. There's no guarantee than any of those 36 people will ever even open the .zip file. If you're expecting to make money from work like this, you are deluding yourself. Of the many thousands of people who downloaded fonts here yesterday, all but 36 considered 50 odd kilobytes of empty disk space to be more valuable to them than Bubbly. I count myself among the majority.

KenS, if you want to try to make this font yourself, you could read about the various font editing programs on the market in the DaFont FAQ section: http://www.dafont.com/faq.php#create

I use one that's not on that list - ScanFont 3, from FontLab. Unfortunately, ScanFont 3 is no longer sold, and it doesn't work with Windows operating systems that are more advanced than XP. FontLab currently sells a product called ScanFont 5, but it has little in common with ScanFont 3. ScanFont 3 is a stand-alone font editor. ScanFont 5 is a plug-in for FontLab's Studio5 product. The FontLab applications also tend to be considerably more expensive than font editors sold by other software companies.

@KenS: to be realistic, you're not going to be able to make a good cursive font as your one-and-only font. That would be similar to being a straight A student in 6th grade, who was promoted to high school senior, and expected to excel at that level. It could be done, but both you, and your mother, will be disappointed in the results.

At the same time, however, designing a unique and visually appealing script font is very difficult, for anyone other than Måns Grebäck and a handful of others. In fact, many 'original' font designs are digitalizations of script styles that originally appeared in old books, magazines or advertising. The designer sees an old match book cover from the 1950's, and extrapolates what the unseen letters would look like, if rendered in the same style. There's nothing wrong with doing that; even the "Myfonts" designers do that, all the time.

If your mother's calligraphy is, indeed, unique and elegant, why not scan a sample of it, post that sample in this thread, and see if any designers are interested in developing her handwriting into a font. Save your scan in .png format of .tiff, and make it big. Your goal should be to convince a font designer that making a digital version of your mother's handwriting is a better idea than the font they would otherwise do next. The quality of your mother's handwriting, and the quality of your text sample scan, will likely determine whether there is any interest from the designers, and whether that interest comes from the "A", "B", or "C" list of skill.

The impression I get is that you are very interested in having your mother's handwriting be available in digital form, but it's less important to you to create that digital form yourself.

We frequently receive requests in the DaFont forum from people who want to have someone create a custom made font, for their personal use. They usually include a .jpeg image with the letters 15 pixels tall, and ask if they can have it ready by Friday. This is a different situation.

Keep in mind, however, that making a good quality font takes a lot of time and skill. If someone decides to make a font based on your mother's handwriting, the font designer, rather than your mother, ought to own the distribution rights to that font, and any income generated from commercial use. If she's willing to make that concession, someone here may be willing to accommodate you.

Feb 27, 2014 at 20:40  [reply]  Ask the Designers

What factors could or would limit the point size of text displayed in a .pdf document?

While testing beta versions of my current font project, I often create MS Word .docx and .pdf documents at very large point sizes, to help me locate small errors that can't be seen, when the text display is smaller.

During the editing stage, my caps height is 240% above standard size, but I can create a standard sized version in about two minutes by adjusting the UPM values in Metrics and Dimensions.

With the over sized version of the font, the only thing that seems to limit the size of the text display in Word 2007 is the maximum dimensions of the paper size - I can make a .pdf at 360 points, (equivalent to more than 850 standard points), without any problems. With the standard sized version, however, the .pdf document appears blank if the point size used in Word is larger than about 288, (I used multiples of 72 points, so I could display text at 288 points, but not at 360).

Complexity of the glyphs is not a factor - these fonts use the minimum number of nodes, and the test font file sizes range from 9 - 31 kb, for around 70 glyphs.

Other than the limit to the size of text display, (and some problems displaying the minus/ hyphen glyphs, when the font is generated in .otf format), both the regular and over sized versions work fine in Word, Notepad, and .pdf. I don't have any advanced graphic design programs like Illustrator for additional testing.

Thanks,

~bobistheowl

@The Crafterian: if you upload your fonts only to DaFont, you could add a line similar to this in the header, (the header is the section where you add the designer information in your font editor. When the font is opened in preview, that information appears above the very small upper and lower case text display):

'This font was uploaded by its designer to DaFont. Any other site making this font available for download has done so without the designer's knowledge or consent.'

Some sites might not add your font, if it has this sort of disclaimer. It would also be a criminal act for a different site to edit the header.

This disclaimer won't prevent other sites from posting your font, but it may limit the number of sites that do so.

Feb 25, 2014 at 20:55  [reply]  font

This is the 338th time that Lobster has been identified in the Font Identification forum.

Please note that the designer of Lobster, Pablo Impallari, has designed addition weights of Lobster, as well as several other excellent fonts that have not been posted on DaFont. Check them out on his home page: http://www.impallari.com/lobster/. The download links are at the bottom of the page.

All times are CET. The time is now 05:09

Privacy Policy  -  Contact