Ad by DarkoJuan

Forum

831 posts    Identified fonts    Requests only

Posts by metaphasebrothel

Dec 10, 2014 at 18:47  [reply]  fonts into windows live mail

There is the additional option of preparing a document in a word processor that uses a custom font, taking a screen capture of the document, to save it as an image file, inserting the image in an e-mail, and setting the e-mail settings to HTML, so the image will appear to be text.

That can be done, but only at fairly large point sizes, particularly for the average DaFont font, that tends to degrade in displays below 36 points. Nobody would be able to read it on a phone, more than one or two words at a time, but it could be done.

Making text look decent below 20 point size requires more than an afternoon of work on Adobe Illustrator.

Dec 09, 2014 at 16:32  [reply]  fonts into windows live mail

koeiekat said  
metaphasebrothel said  
... less politely.

What was impolite in "Always handy to understand a tool before using it" and "As long as you don't understand what you are doing you can not control what you are doing. Thus, learn"

I am stating that to achieve a desired result one has to know how to. Yet, maybe, in Ohio (Dayton?) it is the other way round

I didn't say that your reply to this question was impolite, koeiekat. I merely, and accurately, stated that your reply was less polite than mine.

Edited on Dec 09, 2014 at 16:34 by metaphasebrothel

Dec 08, 2014 at 23:02  [reply]  fonts into windows live mail

@josiewhales: in a word processing app, you can use all fonts installed on your computer. In e-mail, you can use any of the fonts allowed by the e-mail server, usually about 15 or so common fonts like Garamond, Arial, Comic Sans, Verdana, Times New Roman, etc. If you want to use a different custom font in e-mail, you'd need to use it in a word processing document attached to the email, there's no connection between the fonts you have installed in your operating system, and the ones available for use in an browser window of e-mail. You can't make your shirt turn red, just because you have a red apple in your refrigerator. What you seem to want to do can't be done, because your e-mail server is not an installed application in your program files. That's what koiiekat was saying, less politely.

koeiekat said  
metaphasebrothel said  
... neither of you thinks in English. ...

Is that so?

It is. I can tell from many of your sentence constructions. There's no shame attached.

koeiekat said  
metaphasebrothel said  
... He meant Moonstar when he said Monster ...

How do you know?...

I know for the same reason that you would understand something spoken to you in pigeon Dutch. It's logical extrapolation of keywords in context. If you were lefthanded, you might also have understood him, as I did. You are twice disadvantaged in solving his verbal riddle, through no fault of your own.

kat and daaams, both of you read, write, speak and understand English, but neither of you thinks in English. That's why I understood the guy from Bangladesh, and you didn't. It's that simple. You probably each understand babelfish translations of your first languages, but not those of an acquired tongue.

Edited 2 times. Last edit on Dec 06, 2014 at 10:59 by metaphasebrothel

clippingpath said  
Thank you all I need full package of monster font can someone manage for only for me and it should be Unique package.

daaams said  
what's your real question ?
open a new thread AND BE PRECISE IN YOUR REQUEST IF YOU EXPECT ANY HELP.

He meant Moonstar when he said Monster. He wants to have a copy of the Moonstar Font, and he wants a copy of the Growler font shown in Lancon's image in post #2, and any other styles or weights, based on the same design. He wants someone to collect them together for him, in one .zip file. There was no need to shout at him, daaams.

Dec 05, 2014 at 01:07  [reply]  MailartRubberstamp

Sometimes an out of date archive extracting program can do this, too. I had the same version o Winrar installed for a few years, and it worked fine for most archives, but some DaFont .zips didn't open properly. The problem was at my end.

Dec 04, 2014 at 15:36  [reply]  disney used my font

des805 said  
this is going to sell real dumb but I thought I had a read me file attached , how do I make a read me file??

I don't know if you do. I didn't download your fonts. toto@k22's reply in #6 suggested that there isn't one.

Open Notepad, Give the document a name, Type the read me document, save it, include it in the .zip file when you submit a font. For many designers, the same read me is included in each of their fonts. In other cases, each read me is different for each font.

If you intended to have the same read me in every one of your fonts, you might be able to submit one in a .zip file to DaFont, and ask the webmaster to include it in each of the font .zips to which it would apply - list them all, by name, alphabetically. Having a read me in the DaFont .zip will not prevent the T-shirt incident from reoccurring, because you have no guarantee that your font will be downloaded from a site that includes read me documents. If you have commercial use instructions in the header of the font, and a download site removes those instructions to make the font appear to be free for all use, that would be a crime pretty much everywhere, and likely they would do that to other designers' work, besides your own. That sort of action would be considered 'malicious intent', in law, rather than an 'oops'.

The webmaster would not modify your fonts to include additional header information. It would be up to you to do that. You should do that with all your future font submissions, an at your discretion for any that are already circulating.

Dec 04, 2014 at 14:58  [reply]  disney used my font

des805, I looked at the "Sisters Forever" shirt from your link in post #5, as well as the character map on DaFont for your Cookie Chips font. I had hoped to amend your post #5 to include the image, but the interactive nature of the T-Shirt precluded inserting it with simple HTML image tags.

Add koeiekat: Done, the image location is http://scene7.targetimg1.com/is/image/Target/16512649?wid=410&hei=410 so that can be inserted with the img tag

In my opinion, the lettering on the T-Shirt appears to be using your Cookie Chips font. Keep in mind, however, that I'm probably tied for 4,095th place in font identifications, so I'm no expert.

I didn't download the font, as toto@k22 did, but he mentioned that there is no read me file enclosed in the DaFont download .zip. If the header, (ie: The text you add to the font file, with copyright/ license information), in the font itself makes no mention that there is a fee for commercial use, it's very possible that the manufacturer of the shirt may not have known that there was any such fee, and that would be entirely your own fault.

I don't know if you submit your fonts to other sites besides DaFont, but even if you don't, other font download sites can and will make your fonts available for download, often without including all of the files prepared by the author, as included in the DaFont download package. They might provide download links only for .ttf files, omitting files like read me documents, licenses, graphics and character guides, etc., in order to use less bandwidth for their site. What they're doing might not be against the law, because there is no law against it, in the country where the site originates. Certain sites located in the Indian subcontinent, including Pakistan and Sri Lanka, are notorious for unabashedly offering commercial fonts for free download, and when any of those sites is mentioned by name, or linked in the DaFont forums, the information is quickly removed.

Something like this may well have happened: A sweatshop in Bangladesh was looking for a font to use, free of charge, to make cheap quality T-shirts for international export. They found your font somewhere, and since there was no notice or documentation to the contrary, assumed that it was free to use, for all purposes. In good faith, Target purchased some of the shirts, assuming that the manufacturer had commercial rights to the content printed on the shirt.

An equivalent situation, in Law: You own an unique hand crafted ring, inherited from your grandmother. The ring is stolen in a burglary. The thief sells the ring to a pawn shop, for some money to by drugs. The pawnshop owner sells the ring to someone. You see that person wearing your ring, and call the police.

The police would not charge the person wearing your ring with theft, because they bought the ring in good faith from the pawnshop. The police would return the ring to you. The person who bought the ring would be entitled to a refund from the pawnshop. The police could charge the pawnshop owner with possession and sale of stolen merchandise, and they would threaten to do that, if the pawnshop owner did not give them the name of the junkie who sold them the ring.

The pawnshop owner gives the ring purchaser their money back, and gives the police the name of the junkie. They go catch him while he's high, and charge him with possession of the other things he's stolen, and hasn't sold yet.

In this example, the person who bought the ring in the pawnshop would be like Target, the T-shirt manufacturer would be like the pawnshop owner, and the thief would be the site that offered your font for free, but they can't be caught, because they're in a country that doesn't have an extradition treaty with yours.

If you tried to sue Target for lost income, Target would tell you that your legal issue is with the factory in Bangladesh, and legally, they would be right. You might be eligible to receive financial damages in civil court, provided that misappropriation of donationware fonts is a crime in Bangladesh. If the decision was determined by a Judge, the most crucial evidence would be whether or not the header in the font made specific reference to a fee for commercial use, with contact information for licensing inquiries. If that information is present, the manufacturer could not claim to not know of such a fee; saying that they don't read English would not be sufficient.

If the terms of use are absent from the header, however, you could not prove malicious intent on the part of the manufacturer. They could possibly offer to give you a small out of court settlement, but you would lose if the case came to court, (assuming no terms of use are in the header), because it would be argued that you were negligent by not stating the terms of use, and the shirt manufacturer did not knowingly infringe on license-able copy-written intellectual property.

Had the manufacturer known of a commercial use fee, they may well have chosen to use a different font instead, one made by someone else, with no usage strings attached.

Rather than try to be compensated after the fact for an error that may have been your fault, I'd suggest you capitalize on the promotion of your font that the T-shirt creates. You can say "Cookie Chips", as seen on this cheap T-Shirt, sold at Target", and that might ultimately do you more good than trying to get some money out of them now. What are they going to do, sue you for copyright infringement of their copyright infringement of you? If they took that one to court, you would win. Turn your lemons into lemonade, and protect your work better in the future, even if you feel you need to make updated versions of all of your submitted fonts, to add read me documents and additional header information.

Here's a static image of the T-Shirt:

If you want to use it, download the image, save it, and upload it somewhere else, or just use my link:

http://s26.postimg.org/4yhgfm1ix/Sisters_Forever.png

I used WinSnap3.5.5, a screen capture program, to make the image from the display on your page link in post #5. I don't know where you can get it; it was graciously provided to me by a link in the moderator's forum, when I had need of such an app, and I have been using it all the time, ever since.

~bobistheowl

Edited 2 times. Last edit on Dec 04, 2014 at 15:49 by koeiekat

This is not the same Cincinnati Reds lettering I asked about, in this thread: http://www.dafont.com/forum/read/170707/cincinnati-reds, which no one has been able to identify yet.

Nov 19, 2014 at 10:24  [reply]  myfonts free

._. said  
marapara said  
How can you say it's not fair to charge money for a thing you created? It means you have no respect for the work and time that went into the creation of that font.

It's okay to charge maybe $5 max. But $100 for a single font is ridiculous, how many people do you think are actually going to waste money buying that?

Use that same argumentative logic with a lady of the evening, and see if you get the BJ...

Dude, part of the reason why some fonts are free, and other fonts cost a lot of money is that some people want as many people as possible to use their font for anything, and other people want as few people as possible to use their font, so it won't become stale from overuse.

A company like Campbell's Soup might even go so far as to hire Keith Morris to design a font for their own exclusive use, so that when people see certain lettering, they think Campbell's Soup, and not 300 other things.

Just because someone designs a computer font, or records a song, or makes a movie, or manufactures hand guns, doesn't mean that they are YOUR FRIEND!

Nov 16, 2014 at 13:34  [reply]  myfonts free

._. said  
I think it is, a guy I know had a bunch of fonts from there installed on his computer, and he said he got them for free. I asked him how but he wouldn't tell me.

I know how, too, but I won't tell you, either.

I don't understand half of what toto@k22 says, but I read all of it. I used to only understand ten per cent of it.

I've always wondered what anagrams might be made from the Lorem ipsum text, and whether they could be arranged to form sentences that follow at least the rudimentary rules of grammar.

On another board, one of the members uses the nickname Tish, and lamented that the anagram of their nickname was "Shit". I pointed out that there are also two other anagrams, "hits" and h'sti!, a diminutive of la hostie, the host, or Eucharist at a Catholic Mass, in the French-Canadian joual dialect. Spoken as an exclamation, it means "Shit!.

JayRey said  
Printing fonts to trace for signs

Hi, and thank you for any help.
I am still really having a hard time grasping font/typeface law; if I format text digitally using a font, have it printed, and then trace the text onto signs for paid artwork, must I purchase a license to use the font/typeface?

Again, tracing printed fonts (using transfer paper) for hand-painted signs, a paying gig/event, but the signs will not be sold in any way, just used for an event.

Thank you for any clarification.

In this scenario, you would NOT need to purchase a license, provided that you used a font that was 100% Free, or Public Domain. Otherwise, you would need to abide by the commercial use terms.

For what you're suggesting, you could probably get away with it, particularly if you made errors in the manual tracing stage. You might spend some hours of manual labour to save yourself the cost of a license that's probably in the $20 range.

What you're saying, if I read you correctly, is that you will be paid to create the signs, but you're not selling the signs you've been paid to create, and you wonder if that's personal or commercial use. Someone who uses fonts to create wedding invitations does that, too. It's called graphic design.

No one can really stop you from doing what you suggest, but it isn't very cost effective, it will yield inferior results, and you'll have to live with the personal guilt of having ripped someone off. If you're OK with all that, knock yourself out, but no one here is going to 'give you their blessing' to do it, which is what you really wanted, in the first place.

daaams said  
metaphasebrothel said  
Or, since all of the fonts are free to download, you could just download and install them, and do that in a text document yourself. Type the text, name and save it, then change the font and point size. Le voila.

Et voilą
What you're telling him to do is not really handy, wastes a lot of time, a lot of bandwidth,...

My post #8 wasted less bandwidth than your post #9, or were the downloaded fonts considered to be the wasted bandwidth?

I just can't see this 'custom paragraph of text display' happening, because it doesn't impact the Font Identification forum. To me, this inquiry is like 'The free grapes are delicious, but it would be a great idea if someone peeled them for me'.

Custom paragraph text display makes a lot of sense, if the object is to sell a font by way of download. DaFont showcases 'second and third tier' typography that's free to download. The top tier is going to be the 'Professional' designers and foundries, with the 1,000 glyph character maps, and no kerning or metrics errors. The fourth tier is the fonts that are submitted here, but rejected, or the ones that show up on DeviantArt or the ones that are only on Fontspace because it has no evaluation process, (which is both a good, and a bad thing, like 'open mike night' at a comedy club).

It's not really the point of DaFont to chose fonts for the downloader, so he avoids using bandwidth for the ones he doesn't want to use, and saves time by not opening the .zip files in which their fonts were contained. If a guy wants custom text display of his installed fonts at various sizes. without leaving a browser window, he should just use this tool:

http://www.stcassociates.com/lab/fontbrowser.html

But custom paragraph text display does not benefit DaFont, nor the authors showcased here; it only benefits a user, who wants us to invest resources to save him time. I can't see that happening.

Or, since all of the fonts are free to download, you could just download and install them, and do that in a text document yourself. Type the text, name and save it, then change the font and point size. Le voila.

I think Aquaflame is an erectile dysfunction medication sold in some US states, so the forum nick makes chicks think he can't get it up. Or something else.

Nov 03, 2014 at 09:28  [reply]  Use of fonts in blogs

vonpaldanius said  
Use of fonts in blogs

My questions:

I make quote-pictures to one blog. I'm wondering, the pics are not for sale, can I use "100% free" fonts to make these pics? Blog itself has some ads time to time, but these fonts are not to any ads of course. They are only used as a visual material to the blog. The blog doesn't make any money with these pics.

Should I ask from the makers of the font.

If the font is 100% free, it's courteous to inform the author of how you've used their work, but you don't need to ask for permission, in advance. You would need to ask in advance, if it's a Free for Personal Use font.

Do you, directly or indirectly, receive any income from the ads on the page, or are they just there as part of a free hosting domain, like "geocities", from years ago?

Oct 27, 2014 at 23:34  [initial post]  Cheese or Font?

Take the test at http://cheeseorfont.com/

I got 62.7% on all 268, but I bypassed practice, and went straight to game mode. This was fun.

All times are CEST. The time is now 13:27

Privacy Policy  -  Contact