Forum

718 posts    Identified fonts    Requests only

Posts by metaphasebrothel

Mar 08, 2015 at 07:46  [reply]  Greek Type Designers?

Your first stop for inquiries by designer's country of origin should be Luc Devroye's pages:

http://luc.devroye.org/greek.html

Zan00 said  
Technical Legal Questions Regarding Font Modification

Say I use a Font that doesn't have permission to be used commercially, and in some cases has to be paid for or isn't available at all.

Say I put them in a Vector software and convert it to curves and modify the font heavily where it's no longer recognizable as the original font, does the new font count as my creation even though I'm working off of the base of the original one that isn't mine?

And at what point is there enough modification to count it exclusively as your own creation? What if you create a font from scratch using a font creation software and by some small slim chance, someone out there has a font a bit similar to yours? What then?

Thanks.

You don't ever have the right to modify the vectors in someone else' font to create a new one of your own, no matter how different yours might be. If you want to make your own variation od someone else' font, print and scan text samples, make new vectors, and modify them, but don't alter an existing font.

You can't sprinkle parsley flakes on KFC, and pretend it's your fried chicken recipe. What you're suggesting is legally no different than that.

I love ScanFont 3, from FontLab, but they don't sell it anymore, it doesn't work with Windows Operating Systems more recent than XP, and some windows automatic update from February, 2014 caused it to stop working, so I had to get another computer with XP, that isn't connected to the Internet, to continue my work.

ScanFont 3 has nothing in common with ScanFont 5, currently sold. SF3 is a stand alone .ttf editor. SF5 is a plug-in for FontLab Studio.

My procedure is much different from most other designers. I work with imported monochrome bitmaps. I have several fonr editing programs, but I use ScanFont 3 for almost everything, other than adjustments to vertical metrics, or changing embedding settings.

Aidos said  
extra characters at the end of my font

I downloaded 'Ugly Qua', and I get 'ff' at the end of each line of type. Why is this happening? And is there anything I can do to stop it?

Are you sure that's not a Pilcrow? Do you have paragraph markers enabled in MS Word?

Manfred Klein last answered e-mails in February, 2008. I may have been the recipient of his last e-mail correspondence. He attached a couple of fonts to his reply to me, that were never published on the Internet, and he didn't reply to my follow up.

Mar 06, 2015 at 07:30  [reply]  Font Trubble

datterichexpress said  
Hi there,

I found her on Twitter, and wrote her. In case she does not answer, anyone who can change that Font for me and send it per E-Mail? I have no clue how to to this

Have a nice Day!

No one is going to alter someone else' font for you, Anja. That would be both illegal and unethical.

I can't be the only one who didn't immediately realize that Trubble was the font name, and not just poor spelling of "Trouble". You should put the font name in the text, Anja, rather than just in the subject line. You do have a clue how to do that.

mnewland said  
Wow,

Thank you, for the polite, professional reply. I guess it didn't matter which font it was, just the generic "100% free" designation that was posted. I appreciate the info, thank you very much.

Michael

Michael, just don't assume that a font at DaFont is 100% free, unless specifically designated as such. Many older fonts uploaded by someone other than the designer have no license inmformation, because no one knows the terms of use. Sometimes the author is deceased, or has long since ceased to use the e-mail address shown in documentation.

koeiekat does have a valid point - you should have named the font in question. Many here know specific information about certain fonts or designers. There's no valid reason why you shouldn't have been more specific about the font of which you were discussing. Vague questions prompt vague responses.

mnewland said  
100% free or is there hidden costs or undisclosed charges.

Hi,

The font is listed as "100% free",I am unable to find anything else that says there may be charges if I use the font for business purposes. I am trying to do the right thing, be respectful, and attempt to contact the author. I did leave a comment on the font page for the author, requesting terms and conditions, if they do exist. Any advice? Thanks, Michael in AZ.

100% Free means exactly that. The font author has preauthorized the font for all use. You do not need permission to use it commercially. Sometimes the font designer wants to avoid inquiries like yours, after completing the work, and giving it away, for personal and commercial use. The 100% free designation is used only when the font author uploads their own work, and choses that licensing designation. No fonts on DaFont have the 100% Free designation, unless the font author has specified that as the licensing term, or documentation by the author has explicitly stated that the font is free for all use.

Just use it, and credit the designer somewhere in the commercial use, if you want to acknowledge the type source.

drf_bot, we'll let the Webmaster decide whether he should be unbanned again. You should leave this be for the time being.

He's history. You guys feed Trolls, I don't.

daaams said  

That's legitimately funny, sweeep. Maybe you can give Fred some lessons.

Fontifying said  
Koeiekat, you must be the most pathetic infidel I have ever come across, you are one of those things that has nothing better to do than to play with herself all day instead of helping genuine people who need it. We all started somewhere so where did you start at the top of the game? I would call you a cunt as did Nemtlegen but a cunt is useful & that you are most certainly not. I realize this section of the forum is now 12 months old going by the date on your first reply but I do hope you get this.message and to help if I am not to late. The answer to the question is actually quite simple and easily overlooked when you think of a font as just a font but to install as bulk they must be "True Type Fonts"- ".ttf" or you can't install as bulk. I do hope I'm not to late to help.

Dude, I tell you this only once. Do not EVER resurrect an old thread to start or reignite a flame war. This is your first post here. You might not get the chance to make it to three, if the next thing you say pisses me off. If you want to have your IP address permanently banned, make the wrong choice.

If you had said this to anyone other than koeiekat, your ass would already be history.

~bobistheowl

Edited 2 times. Last edit on Feb 12, 2015 at 20:39 by drf_bot

Feb 12, 2015 at 12:29  [reply]  Font request for a tattoo :x

Ummmm.... do you think you two boys could flirt with each other by private message instead?

@ yuyamarino: This is something that's going to be on your wrist forever, or until you have it painfully removed. It's best that you chose your own. You don't want to be wearing someone else' choice on your skin.

Don't ever try to change the name of an installed font by renaming it in the installed directory. You will permanently damage the font. For one thing, the panagram sentence at different point sizes will no longer be displayed, if you open the font in preview. I don't know what other damage would be done, but that's reason enough to not do it.

There is a way to do it, with Windows XP, but I don't know if this procedure would work with other operating systems.

For example, in my installed Windows fonts, the font named Bodoni MT Condensed Bold Italic has file name BOD_CBI.TTF, and I want the font name and the file name to be the same.

This is what I would do:

1) Open Windows Search, browse for the directory C:\WINDOWS\Fonts, and click the Search button. I want the search results to show the contents of the installed fonts folder in the operating system.

2) Select and copy any fonts which I want to rename, and paste them into a new folder, created somewhere other than the Operating System, or Program Files.

3) In the new folder, right-click and rename the font file name(s).

4) Delete the installed font.

5)Select/ copy the renamed font)s), and paste it/them into C:\WINDOWS\Fonts.

When I did this on a previous computer, I could not chance the file names of Tahoma, Microsoft Sans Serif, or the font currently selected for Notepad.exe. TheTahomafile name can't be changed, even from all caps to regular spelling, because Tahoma is the font used for Windows XP file names and default display. You would potentially do major damage to your computer, if [b]Tahoma is uninstalled, even briefly. This would likely apply to a different font, instead of, or in addition to Tahoma, if later operating systems have a different text display font.

I was able to change the names of every other font, except the three noted above. I have no idea whether or how this can be done with Windows Operating Systems after XP. Pwerhaps someone else could enlighten us on that.

Feb 06, 2015 at 00:46  [reply]  Illegal use of font

hanoded, I downloaded some of your fonts, and I stand corrected. A few of your fonts, notably DK Jambo, DK Carte Blanche and Moonlight Shadow are very well designed.

DK Sleepy Time is not. It's a deviantart font, and not a good one. You should not have been sufficiently satisfied with it to put your name on it. Your entire catalog suffers, when you drop a turd like that one.

I look at a few vectors in a font editor. I like the curves in D K Jambo. The DK Sleepy Time vectors appear to have had little of no editing done to them. The line widths are wildly inconsistent. It sullies the reputation you've built with your other fonts.

Edited 2 times. Last edit on Feb 06, 2015 at 00:58 by metaphasebrothel

Feb 05, 2015 at 04:00  [reply]  Illegal use of font

@honoded: Props to you! If you regularly receive large donations, I'm happy to hear that.

Keep in mind that this thread is about the circumstances of intellectual property theft, and not only about your specific situation. When another designer on DaFont encounters this same problem, they be instructed to read this thread, so we wont have to write these long replies more than once.

To keep the discussion lively, it was necessary for someone to play Devil's Advocate, in which opinions that are not entirely supportive are also expressed.

There are also cases where some forum members have fabricated stories, for personal amusement. A portion of some of my posts was directed to those situations, and not to you specifically.

Certain statements I made should be read and understood by anyone marketing a font that's freely downloadable, but has a fee for commercial use:

1) Make sure the terms of commercial use are included in the font file.

2) Allowing the commercial use fee to be determined by the user is naive. It assumes that most people will give fair value for fair value.

3) Nobody should be designing amateur or semi professional fonts with profit as the primary motive. Good quality fonts can earn significant income for a designer. Good quality takes time. Some designers are capable of designing good quality fonts, and some aren't. Spending more time on each font, rather than trying to make as many fonts as possible, is a better strategy.

4) There is no correlation whatsoever between DaFont download statistics and potential licensing opportunities. If a font has 1,000,000 downloads, that doesn't mean 1,000,000 different people have downloaded it. Many people will have downloaded the font more than once. Sometimes the author does that, to have their font appear to be more popular than it actual is.

5) There is no direct correlation between the popularity of a font, in terms of download stats, and its potential to generate income. A lot of people just collect fonts as a hobby. They download from DaFont, because the fonts can be obtained for free. If there was any fee applied, however small the fee would be, they would not. Many downloaded fonts are never extracted from their .zip file, and of those that have been extracted, a smaller percentage are ever installed, or actually used in any graphic design, as a percentage of the total number of downloads. I have Gigabytes of unextracted font .zip files. Many other people do, too.

6) When a font is made hastily, it often has a usable range between 36 and 72 points. Any smaller, and the display will become muddy. Any larger, and the errors will be magnified. If a designer makes a font that is average in terms of design and technical execution, he/she is competing against all the other average fonts, and all of the free fonts, for a limited purchasing market. When a font is above average, or excellent, in terms of design and technical skill, the number of competing fonts is much smaller. You have a better chance of generating income by making better quality fonts than you do by making a large quantity of average fonts, and hoping that a few people will be overly generous.

hanoded, I do apologize for disparaging remarks about the quality of some of your designs. Those remarks were not directed specifically at you, but to all of the designers who could make their fonts better, before submitting them. You have several very good fonts. You have many that are average. Some are below average. I didn't see one that I could call great.

You could make one or more great fonts. You have no reason to make any more average or below average fonts. Leave that market to the designers who aren't capable of making a great font yet, or ever. Make your work more valuable than $10, for commercial use. That way, everyone will benefit.

I never say anything negative about a 100% free font, regardless of the quality. It's only when a commercial use fee is applied that I register an opinion. All of my own font releases have been 100% free, in part because I use the fair use provision of copyright law frequently, and because I don't see much commercial potential from my dingbat fonts. I believe that all of my fonts are more valuable that the disk space they would occupy on a hard drive. I would download most or all of them, if they had been made by someone else. I would not pay any money to download any of them, nor would I pay money to use them commercially. They're just my gift back to the design community, for free fonts that other people have made, and I have enjoyed.

Each designer who submits a font that has a commercial use fee should ask themselves that one question: "Would I pay money to use this font, if it had been made my someone else; ie: is it better than a similar font, that is free for all use?". If your answer to yourself is yes, then your business model is sound. If the answer to yourself is no, then you should improve the font, to the point where your answer will be yes,or not make the font in the first place, or make it free for all use. All fonts should be worthy of charging a fee for commercial use, before a fee is charged for such use.

Best regards,

~bobistheowl

Feb 04, 2015 at 19:57  [reply]  Illegal use of font

Thanks, toto@k22. I, personally, never accept advanced payment for any creative project, because I'm not good at meeting someone else' time frame for completion, and I don't want to have to give the money back, if I don't finish the work.

koeiekat said  
The grunge effect is not made with a font editor.

In theory, some grunge effects could be made with a font editor. It may be easier, or more time efficient to use a graphic design program, but this thread is about 'on the cheap' font design.

For example, in ScanFont 3, I could draw some contours within the glyph window, drag them onto an existing contour, and reverse the newly added contour(s), to create 'white on a black background', in print. That can probably be done with other font editors, as well.

I got it using eMule in 2006, but It's necessary to have a computer that has Windows XP, is not connected to the Internet, and has no Windows updates after January, 2014 to still be able to use it.

It cost me $140 Canadian, from my repairman. It's a 'flat tower' model, with a floppy disk drive, that fits under my monitor, but it processes very quickly, without the Internet hogging CPU resources. I just have to use a flash drive to move files between the computers, because I'd have to connect both to the Internet, to put them on a LAN.

My ScanFont 3 is a cracked version of the demo that was available for free download on the Fontlab home page for many years. It cost me about 14 MB of bandwidth, so I don't think anyone will find a less expensive font editor, unless their download doesn't include the .pdf manual.

Fontlab doesn't even sell ScanFont 3 anymore. There is no truth to the rumour that Windows Vista was created specifically to prevent people from making fonts with ScanFont 3, but a Windows automatic update in February, 2014 may have possibly had that purpose.

I've only ever known of two other font authors who have fonts hosted at Dafont and have made fonts with ScanFont 3. One of them doesn't make fonts anymore, but the two she did make were very popular. The other designer uses a different font editor now.

Menhir said  
Font Forge (free) http://fontforge.github.io/en-US/
Type Tools ($48) http://www.fontlab.com/font-editor/typetool/
Font Creator ($80) http://www.high-logic.com/font-editor/fontcreator.html

For me, I use an old version of Type Tools.

Have you made any fonts, Menhir, or do you use a font editor only to study fonts made by other people?

Feb 04, 2015 at 17:37  [reply]  Illegal use of font

koeiekat said  
Bobby, David carefully and rightfully did not give the names of the agency and client when he asked to how to take a case like this further. David wanted to know how to handle in a case like this that is all. When David follows my suggestion he will have his money in no time.

This is acceptable. You've offered hanoded assistance privately, he's taken your advice, and you are confident that his grievance will be satisfied.

My posts related to public assistance, through this forum, and I stand by my opinions. This sort of inquiry comes up frequently in DaFont forums, including a recent complaint from Des Gomez involving the Cookie Chips font, being used on some T-Shirts sold at Target stores.

Keep in mind that my responses in this thread are not all specifically directed to hanoded. They're also meant to be read by other authors who have fonts hosted by DaFont, or people who might design fonts at a future date.

For any font that isn't 100% free for all use, the terms of commercial use need to be included in the internal copyright and licensing fields, if the author may need the assistance of the legal system. Whether or not that information is displayed when the font is opened in preview is irrelevant.

I'll bet if someone made a formal complaint, through the proper channels, against Microsoft, for neglecting to display the header information, when a font is opened in preview, with an operating system more recent than Windows XP, there would probably be some Windows update that would correct this oversight.

I have no direct knowledge of which Operating Systems do not display the 'header', when a font is opened in preview. I do know that this information is displayed, when Windows XP is used. I do know that this information is not displayed, when Windows 7 is used.

There's a legal term called ignoratia juris non excusat, ("Ignorance of the law is no excuse"). This concept has been in place in all responsible law codes, since the Code of Hammurabi, c. 1754 BCE. It's binding to both parties.

If the font author does not include the commercial use terms within the font file, the law will not reward him for his negligence, even if that information was included in a notation orsupplemental file.

If the terms of commercial use are included in the header and copyright/ licensing fields, it is legally irrelevant whether the commercial user is aware that the information is contained in the file, but not easily displayed.

The law would deal differently between the individual who was aware of the terms of use, but ignored them, and the individual who assumes that there is no fee for commercial use, because they are unaware of such a fee. ("With or without prejudice")

The onus is on the font author to protect his/ her own work. Law is, by nature, necessarily dispassionate. It cannot be sympathetic towards an author who is guilty of having too much faith in the moral integrity of strangers.

methom said  

metaphasebrothel, thanks for the interesting legal explanation. I'm a real newbee to dafonts and actually I should have included the whole readme in the fontfile itself. (But even there it can be removed easyly, if people just don't care about what they're doing.) I designed several "professional" fonts in the past and I always refused to manage the legal stuff, since there are foundries who earn enough money selling my fonts, so they have to handle this for me accurately. At dafonts I just made an early work available, since it otherwise would have not been released at all. But when it comes to the "real world" ... well ... :]

You shouldn't need to include the whole read me in the font file. You only need to indicate that a fee is applicable, and you need to provide contact information for commercial use inquiries.

One problem with that, however, is that some of that contact information will be displayed in search engine results, and if you include an e-mail address, you'll expect to receive spam e-mails for penis enlargement pills, romantic offers from girls in Russia, phishing attempts, and money scam schemes from Nigeria and Burkina Faso. It's a good idea to set up an e-mail address that's solely for commercial use inquiries about your fonts.

All inquiries about my free fonts go to a hotmail address, and I just delete a lot of the spam that comes with it, but for any fonts that I make that are not 100% free, I use a different contact address.

Within the font file itself, you just need to establish that the font is not free for all use, and give an inquiry address, and the law will be on your side. If you are careless in your responsibilities, the law has no obligation to be sympathetic towards you.

All times are CEST. The time is now 15:47

Ad by JaimeBG
Privacy Policy  -  Contact