Forum

4 posts

Licenseing

Mar 24, 2013 at 06:30

Hi everyone, I'm sure this has been asked before and answered by my Google skills are failing me

So I'm starting a business and designing logo, leaflets, etc. I have a font I wish to use, lakeside drive by nick Curtis, question is can I use this as it appears to be a free font and not worry about being sued in the future?

I've done some googling and Nick Curtis seems to be a well established name in the typeface world and seems to have a large amount of free fonts for download that appear to be free for commercial use. Only problem is all the fonts I download do not seem to have license agreements or readme files so how do I know for sure that I can use this font

My apologies if this is a stupid question, I'm new to all this so learning as I go

Thanks Any help is greatly appreciated

Edited on Mar 24, 2013 at 06:32 by markmarlow40

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:11

About LakeshoreDrive. On Myfonts Nick writes:
"An adaptation of a nine-pixel high bitmap font designed by Yuji Adachi. The freeware (TrueType) version has a limited character set. The Pro Set (Postscript) version has a complete character set (Adobe Standard for PC; Macintosh Standard for Mac), and extensive kerning."

As from version 1.002 (November 2006) this license information is embedded in the font file:
"By using or installing this font data, you (or you on behalf of your employer) agree to be bound by the terms of this Agreement. This Agreement constitutes the complete agreement between you and Nick's Fonts.

YOU MAY:
-Send a copy of any Nick's Fonts font data along with your documents to a commercial printer or other service bureau to enable the editing or printing of your document.
-Use this font data to embed fonts within PostScript files or PDF files for distribution, viewing, and imaging to third parties.
-Use this font for personal projects or for projects for which you are paid including, but not limited to, artwork, logotypes, personalized apparel, word art and web graphics.

YOU MAY NOT:
-Modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or create derivative works based on the Nick's Fonts font data without Nick's Fonts's prior written consent.
-Sell this font data AS FONT DATA to a third party under any circumstances including, but not limited to, rubber-stamp alphabets, die-cut alphabets, rub-on alphabets, or digitized fonts for embroidery.

NICK'S FONTS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE NICK'S FONTS FONT DATA."

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:12

Thanks for that koeiekat

I'll look up how to view embedded license information in a font

Thanks again

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:40

No clue if this also works under Windows 8 as it is a 32 bit utility but you could give it a try:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/truetypeproperty21.mspx

All times are CEST. The time is now 14:28

Privacy Policy  -  Contact