Forum

62 posts

New Athletic M54 / Bleacher - which one is right?

Feb 09, 2013 at 12:06

Kate, please believe me in that this isn't meant to be a 'witch hunt' but you must be able to see how this looks from our side - fonts which have been around for years which you DID claim as YOUR creations on your site and on the MyDesignDeals bundle blurb (which which you have slightly backtracked on above), with very little evidence that they were 'stolen'. An no, not "all" are identical ('Winter' is 'Freehand 521' with some added curls) but many do appear to be the SAME unaltered font as others (certainly Slice, Skinny and Bleacher). Some of the alterations are so slight they can hardy be seen. 'Line' (Conqueror Inline) just has the ends filled in - and this is a great font family already, hardly in need of 'improvement'.

If you can point to sites where we can find your original files, or provide any original names (as whoever you shared them with/gave them to must have uploaded them to font sites presumably with early names to find their way around the globe to be used by others) then we can see if this backs up your claim that you created these.

Unless you can do this then it's going to be very hard for us to believe that you're not just trying to pass other people's work off as your own. Can you at least state which fonts ARE your original creations which you believe other people to have copied from you? (Which is what was stated from my contact with John). 'Slice' was one which you said had been copied from you and were looking to get it removed from DaFont- is that still the case? Any fonts which are 'improvements' need to be clarified also.

Thanks

Edited on Feb 09, 2013 at 12:10 by zerodeluxe

Feb 09, 2013 at 16:05

three more ...

Avenue (Kate Ferrara Design) = Intro (Fontfabric LLC). See the cut-off corners of A and V.
Ferrara (Kate Ferrara Design) = Coolvetica (1999, Ray Larabie)
Smooth (Kate Ferrara Design) = Mentone (2008, Jan Schmoege)

Edited 4 times. Last edit on Feb 10, 2013 at 14:08 by koeiekat

Feb 09, 2013 at 20:14

metaphasebrothel said  
... Bodoni himself did not design any fonts, because he died in 1813. ...

While I agree with metaphasebrothel's arguments in his post this line puzzeles me ... If Bodoni did not design the Bodoni then who did?

Feb 09, 2013 at 20:31

Back to topic ... one more ...
Tilt (Kate Ferrara Design) = SF New Republic (1999, ShyFonts)

No need to hide. See Luc Devroye. Scroll down.

Edited 3 times. Last edit on Feb 09, 2013 at 20:59 by koeiekat

Feb 09, 2013 at 21:02

Well, that doesn't leave much original work...

Feb 09, 2013 at 21:05

City? River? Maybe I need a dafont update

Feb 09, 2013 at 21:16

drf_ said  
Well, that doesn't leave much original work...

Most all the fonts are autumn 2012. Yet, if she were to make her fonts accessible for a download to have a detailed view things might change. But it doesn't look that OK right now.

Feb 09, 2013 at 21:32

koeiekat said  
metaphasebrothel said  
... Bodoni himself did not design any fonts, because he died in 1813. ...

While I agree with metaphasebrothel's arguments in his post this line puzzeles me ... If Bodoni did not design the Bodoni then who did?

Bodoni designed the typefaces, either on paper, or for printing blocks. The people who digitalized his typefaces designed the fonts used for electronic printing.

Designing a typeface is like creating art. Designing fonts is more like technical drawing, where precision, rather than inspiration, is most important. Those who design both their typefaces and their fonts are both artists and architects.

Edited 2 times. Last edit on Feb 09, 2013 at 21:36 by metaphasebrothel

Feb 09, 2013 at 21:36

koeiekat said  
Back to topic ... one more ...
Tilt (Kate Ferrara Design) = SF New Republic (1999, ShyFonts)

No need to hide. See Luc Devroye. Scroll down.

Redundant information:

http://www.dafont.com/forum/read/86213/new-athletic-m54-bleacher-which-one-is-right?highlight=212453#212453

Edited on Feb 09, 2013 at 21:37 by rocamaco

Feb 09, 2013 at 21:49

True. Forgot about that one. But it is so tempting to trace all her originals

Feb 10, 2013 at 13:29

I notice the whole 'fonts' section is now removed from Kate's site. Not sure sure if they've been taken off the social sites yet though. As she hasn't returned to the thread yet, I may email her to ask about which she believes ate her original creations as I'd still like to hear her side.

If these do turn out to ALL be modified fonts, I wonder if MyDesignDeals will refund those who bought the bundle as they were not as advertised?

Feb 10, 2013 at 14:09

zerodeluxe said  
I notice the whole 'fonts' section is now removed from Kate's site.

http://www.kateferrara.com/fonts.html this page still needs to be deleted/renamed

Edited 2 times. Last edit on Feb 10, 2013 at 23:45 by koeiekat

Feb 10, 2013 at 14:09

Ferrara and Smooth are still on ...

Feb 10, 2013 at 17:33

drf_ said  
@metaphasebrothel : I would love to translate your #10 post in French, please don't hesitate to send me a PM if you haven't got any news about it in the next weeks.

It's the sort of translation that is best done NOT carefully. My post is prose, but it's not literature. The goal is not to reproduce the nuances of my writing style, as if one were translating Sartre to English, or Mark Twain to French. So many professional translators fall into that trap, when translating business form letters. It's more like how an interpreter works, when two people who don't understand each other converse orally, through a third party. It's not really that different from two people making fonts from the same poorly scanned .pdf of an old book.

I'm just curious about how the same opinions would be expressed, using the syntax of another language. To me, the difference between French and English is like the difference between wine and beer. French grammar follows a logic derived from Latin. English is easier to understand on a basic level, but harder to master, as so much of it is contradictory, and frequently incorrect technically, even in sources that ought to be reliable. The grammar in many English books, newspapers, and magazines is atrocious, but at the same time, easily understandable, because the same errors are made so often that the proper usage looks unusual.

Feb 10, 2013 at 23:46

daaams said  
zerodeluxe said  
I notice the whole 'fonts' section is now removed from Kate's site.

http://www.kateferrara.com/fonts.html this page still needs to be deleted/renamed

It's done ... done ... done ... Down.

Feb 11, 2013 at 00:45

Wel, I've just emailed her to find out the story. I'll let you know what she says.

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:07

Who, Kate Ferrara? She already commented on this topic. She claimed she was only "improving fonts" and that "few ideas are ever original".

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:13

Yeah, but in one email from John, he stated 'Slice' was copied to make 'MK Stencil' and that she was looking into having it removed. I wanted to find out if this was still the case and which exactly she regards as her own original designs.

If she is now back-tracking then MyDesignDeals should really be refunding anyone who bought the bundles as they were mislead into thinking these were original.

Edited on Feb 11, 2013 at 01:16 by zerodeluxe

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:42

zerodeluxe said  
Yeah, but in one email from John, he stated 'Slice' was copied to make 'MK Stencil' and that she was looking into having it removed. I wanted to find out if this was still the case and which exactly she regards as her own original designs.

If she is now back-tracking then MyDesignDeals should really be refunding anyone who bought the bundles as they were mislead into thinking these were original.

I highly doubt that Manfred Klein ever modified someone else' font to make one of his own, considering that he had retired from a long career of type design before computers had mouses. He didn't even need to draw his alphabets on paper. He could just realize them directly from memory or from his imagination in his font editor.

I received an e-mail from Manfred Klein once. Unfortunately, his Internet presence ended before he had the chance to see my tribute font. He retired from typography to care for his wife, who was quite ill. I believe he may also have been suffering from symptoms of Alzheimer's Disease, based on information told to me by a third party who knew him well.

Edited on Feb 11, 2013 at 03:43 by metaphasebrothel

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:32

That's very sad. I hope that Kate wasn't aware of that and taking advantage of it... As said, I'll let you know know her explanation about 'Slice'...

All times are CEST. The time is now 04:27

Privacy Policy  -  Contact