Ad by Nermin99

Forum

27 posts

Ask koeiekat!

Dec 17, 2012 at 00:29

metaphasebrothel said  
... can I use U+066D to calculate the 1645, using only the keyboard, and possibly the calculator, but no other specialty app? ...

No you can not. On a Windows machine you can only enter the ASCII code. So you need a conversion table first.

metaphasebrothel said  
... It's like I'm asking you to teach me how to fish, and you give me a fish, which feeds me for tonight, but leaves me hungry again tomorrow. ...

I did show you how to fish didn't I? OK, bears fish with their bare claws but we humans need tools.

metaphasebrothel said  
... If the code is U+221E, for example, can you determine the ASCII code without additional information, or do you need to know the font and glyph first, before you can do that?

One or the other. Or you use a conversion table or you need to know the glyph and in any case need to know if that glyph is available in that particular font at all.

Dec 17, 2012 at 00:43

Dec 17, 2012 at 00:53

Nice arrows

Dec 17, 2012 at 01:02

(Written between posts 21 & 22)

So I can't mathematically calculate an ASCII code by using a U+???? code. That's what I wanted to know. I thought there might be a more efficient way to add specialized symbols than copy/pasting selected glyphs from the Character Map, which is actually faster than consulting a table, and inputting the glyph using the Alt Key and number pad. I'm not so much concerned with learning the codes for individual symbols, I just wanted to know the mathematical relationship, if any, between the ASCII and Unicode designations.

I can see that knowing the code would be very important if one intends to include one of the Unicode glyphs in a font under construction.

In this case, I'm guilty of overestimating the kat's technical knowledge, and his abilities to both read and convey instruction. For that, I apologize.

Edited on Dec 17, 2012 at 01:25 by metaphasebrothel

Dec 17, 2012 at 01:13

@Claude: My calculator is different than yours, as shown in the graphic, (I don't have Hex/Decimal/Binary conversion). Could you tell me the exact file name of the app, and I'll try to download it from somewhere? If it's a standard Windows app, would it be installed into C:\Windows\system32, or in Program Files?

Thanks.

Dec 17, 2012 at 01:28

View / scientific

Jun 19, 2021 at 18:36

koeiekat won't be answering anymore questions, because he died in 2017. http://luc.devroye.org/fonts-57251.html

claudeserieux can answer just about any font-related question, but he usually does it in French.

Everything I know about making fonts, other than what I learned myself through trial and error, was taught to me by toto@K22.

All times are CEST. The time is now 12:42

Privacy Policy  -  Contact