Forum

 

7 posts

What's the deal with Fonts101.com?

Oct 24, 2012 at 08:32

I've noticed they have our (epicdelusions') fonts available for free download
when we have never submitted anything to them.

I've also noticed almost every font that is available on here, was uploaded on there by
a font101bot.


Who is fonts101? Are they affiliated with dafont.com?
Definitely a violation of my license agreement.

Edited on Oct 24, 2012 at 09:33 by drf_


Oct 24, 2012 at 09:44

Hi,

First of all, the website you're mentioning is by no way linked to Dafont. The content you're submitting here is only available to dafont.com and isn't given anywhere else.

Several sites like these exist, they just "suck" the content of others You can contact them though, and ask them to remove your fonts from their website, they randomly do it. Once you know you pretty much can't do anything about it, you learn to live with it. You also have to know that putting content online - be it a font, picture, mp3, etc. - makes this content available to anybody. 99% of the time, it will be downloaded from legit places like here, but unfortunately you can't control the other 1%.

Someone else had the same question a few months ago : http://www.dafont.com/forum/read/37133/fonts101


Oct 24, 2012 at 17:17

I wrote 'em a letter, that's all we can do.
My brother and I discussed this matter last night
and pretty much came to the same conclusion; it's gonna happen, deal with it.

I'm pissed that places like ffonts and fonts101 are stealing my free fonts
and making money from advertising from paid sponsors, but the real problem is going to
be when I invest 3 months into hand painting an entire font set that will
require a commercial license, and see some asshole just giving it away for free,
or worse, selling it as their own font.


There has to be something you can do if someone is selling your font, I hope?

Thanks for the response!

Cheers!
-Tom

Edited on Oct 24, 2012 at 17:18 by drf_


Oct 24, 2012 at 17:32

I understand how you feel about this. That's why on Dafont, you will never find a single link to sites that steal other people's work. If you take a closer look, downloads on these sites represent an incredibly low percentage, compared to here. I just compared for a few fonts of mine, and for 100 downloads on Dafont, they do less than 0.5.

Concerning your other issue - commercial licence - are you going to sell your work on a commercial site like myfonts.com ? If that's the case, then it will be different, because it will be a commercial font, so the content won't be "sucked" just like this. Of course, there is still the possibility of piracy, but it's more unlikely (I mean, of course, people can find illegal ways to get commercial fonts, but it's usually common/popular fonts - no offense, I'm just saying it's the overused fonts that get "hacked" the most).

There are people who sell free fonts packs, but that's just stupid. I mean, it's like spam. They send thousands of emails knowing only a very small amount of people will answer. But for those who claim other people's work to be their work, well sometimes it's obvious, sometimes it's the chicken/egg story.

Edited 2 times. Last edit on Oct 24, 2012 at 17:33 by drf_


Oct 24, 2012 at 23:32

Hi, epicdelusion, I just wanted to say they did the same thing with my font - so I contacted them, asked them politely but firmly to take my font down, and the next day it was gone. So good luck - you font(s) will probably disappear off their site!


Feb 22, 2014 at 14:14

I agree ffont and font101 stoled my font too without permission and posted it at there.


Feb 23, 2014 at 05:26

All the more reason to mention the licensing terms in the headers of your fonts. You might clearly set out the terms in a read me or license document in the .zip file you upload to Dafont, but there's no guarantee that other sites that use DaFont as the source for their files will make anything more than the .ttf available.

The moderators here also remove links posted from any site that has the download in an .exe file type, (if legitimate, a self-extracting installer), as opposed to a .ttf, .otf, .zip or .rar file for the download. There's no telling what you might be adding to your computer, when you open an executable file obtained from an untrustworthy source.



All times are CEST. The time is now 11:03


 
Ad by Mr.HotRodRocket
Privacy Policy  -  Contact