Forum

12 posts

Combine multiple TTF fonts into one with multiple styles?

Jul 25, 2012 at 22:21

Ok, so this could be quite a newbie .ttf file question, but I've received an awesome collection of fonts, but when scrolling through them in, say, Adobe CS apps, they are listed individually by each style (thin, light, regular, bold, italic etc.) instead of one font name then the styles being listed in the drop down menus underneath. Is this an Adobe issue to fix, or is there a way to combine multiple .ttf files into one?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jul 25, 2012 at 23:36

ttf or otf?

Jul 25, 2012 at 23:49

Jul 26, 2012 at 18:55

They are all ttf fonts. Trying to use FontForge actually with no luck so far... But thanks for the response

Jul 26, 2012 at 19:01

Hum, I'm not sure I fully understand your question. To be sure, is this screenshot what you're looking for ?

Jul 26, 2012 at 19:09

Exactly drf. Sort of frustrating to have some fonts all separated out instead of having that drop down style menu.

Jul 26, 2012 at 19:18

Well, as far as I know (but I'm not sure about this), fonts in apps like Photoshop, are listed according to their Family Name (left field), and then if the Family Name is the same, by their Style Name (right field), aren't they ?

Jul 26, 2012 at 19:21

Yes, you're correct. The same for InDesign and Illustrator (I use all three).

Jul 26, 2012 at 19:56

Are those fonts with MM (multiple Master) in the font name?

Jul 26, 2012 at 20:23

"multiple Master"? no. I have looked at the Properties of each and the filenames include the style... hmm..

Feb 26, 2013 at 19:02

I'm having this problem too. Did you find a solution?

Feb 26, 2013 at 20:25

If the fonts were properly named the regular, bold, italic and bold italic styles should be grouped under one family name and for other weights of the family, regular and italic. If only all apps behave like Adobe apps, we can have everything from a font family grouped as one. Unfortunately, many apps in Windows only recognize the 4 styles so you have to cope with this "restricticn" when naming fonts for the sake of Windows, especially MS apps, users.

Example for a font family named Font, you might have a listing similar to this:

Font - Regular, Italic, Bold, Bold Italic
Font Black - Regular, Italic
Font ExtraBlack - Regular, Italic
Font Light - Regular, Italic
Font Medium - Regular, Italic
Font Thin - Regular, Italic
...etc....

If they are not grouped similar to that, especially if ihe 4 styles are listed individually, there is something wrong in how the fonts were named. You should be able to fix that in FontFoge.

You can do what you wanted if the fonts are to be exclusively used for Adobe apps since they not rely on the Windows font engine (or whatever it is called) to render fonts. But they wull be useless for other apps and a messy affair.

All times are CEST. The time is now 16:21

Privacy Policy  -  Contact