I'm developing an app for type enthusiasts, on the Android platform.
Perhaps it will be of use to artists, designers, or anyone who loves type.
Here is the Android Market link, where you can see screenshots and download it: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.augmentedmind.fontwhatever
I'd be grateful for suggestions about what might be needed or just be cool to have, and feedback about what I have so far implemented.
As of now, the user can:
▪ display samples of all font files on the device ending in .ttf or .otf, with the exception of fonts located inside other application bundles. This does include the system fonts.
▪ display the contents of the font file's "name" table (see http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/name.htm
). This contains copyright, licensing, designer, manufacturer, and other information.
▪ grow or shrink the sample text and apply bold, italic and underline styles to it.
▪ font display is multi-touch aware; i.e., you can pinch-zoom to change font size
▪ choose text and background colors including alpha, either with sliders (seekbars) or through direct entry of hex color values
▪ download font files of interest into a local collection. A custom, integrated browser eliminates the need to use a file manager. Zip archives are handled transparently. A bookmark list is implemented and pre-loaded with a few font sites I know of.
All times are CEST. The time is now 14:56