Forum

8 posts

ReadMe

Dec 31, 2010 at 07:59

Ok
You create a font. You add a perfectly good ReadMe file, which (for those who don't get it) reads: READ ME!!!!
Then why-oh-why do people still ask what the conditions for use are???

??

it is beyond me

Dec 31, 2010 at 10:49

Yeah I was thinking that myself. Maybe they don't know about the readme.

Dec 31, 2010 at 13:37

There are several reasons why the readme files are nor read, partly by fault of the downloader, partly by fault of the font designer.

Some downloaders faults:
Unzipping in their standard (font)download directory, replacing - or not - already existing readme files. Or the older one disappears or the newer one is not saved. In either case a readme file is lost.
Simply not reading readme files. An ancient phenomena that lead to the famous RTFRMF comment.

Some font designers faults:
1. Naming the readme file readme or readme!! or readme first. These file names are so common that the first downloaders fault is most likely to happen.
2. Accompanying the font with a readme file, which is bound to get lost instead of naming it readme [fontname] or so, or, better, including license and contact info in the font file itself.
3. Having contact info with or in the font file that is outdated. E-mail address, website, name it. Too many designers change e-mail address and/or website without keeping the older ones live. Equal to moving without leaving a forwarding address.

It has been said before on this forum (also font designers should read!), it is the designer that is in control of the license info being with the font. If the designer chooses to not to make sure that that info stays with the font then who is to blame? the user or the designer?

Dec 31, 2010 at 13:51

;-)

Ahhh
Yes, but I include license and info in the font itself! Ok, I have to admit, not very imaginative and comprehensive, but it is there. It reads: Donationware, or Shareware or the like and it refers to a ReadMe file being present in the .zip. Email addresses in the fontfile could be an interesting move: I used to do it, but I noticed a surge in spam coming my way ("Dearest Friends, my name is Miss Grace Mbuzu from Nigeria..." "An Iraqi made a fixed deposit of 1,800,000,000.00 US$ in the Hang Seng Bank of Hong Kong..." - you get it), since on sites like fontspace, the font info is visible for visitors and any idiot can harvest an email address when it's out in the open...

BUT, you have a point there, Koeiekat, about not naming the ReadMe file ReadMe.
Hmmm
Guess I should rename all of my Readme's...
Damn.

Have a good new year, all of you!

Ps: I always wanted to know Koeiekat: do you have a cat that looks like a cow???
;-)

Dec 31, 2010 at 14:49

hanoded, feels like you are missing the point. Readme files are bound to get lost or not read. Whatever name they may have. Thus, pointing to a readme file in the font file does not solve the problem.
There is only one way out, fill-in all (ALL!!) the fields in the naming section of the font. Both for Mac and Windows and even better also for Unicode 2.0 and onwards.
Not only the Copyright notice, Font family name, Font subfamily name, Unique font identifier, Full font name, Version string, Postscript name, Trademark (if applicable) but also - and very important to avoid your problem, the advanced naming; Font vendor, Font vendor link (must stay alive), Font designer, Font designer link (must stay alive), License agreement (IN FULL!!), License agreement link (must stay alive) and Description. It does not harm to also add the Compatible full (Mac) info, Preferred family (Windows), Preferred subfamily (Windows) and the Postscript CID findfont name. And if you like, the sample text.

That done you don't need a readme. It is all in the font file and will show up when looking at the font's properties.

Done.

Dec 31, 2010 at 15:10

hanoded said  
... I always wanted to know Koeiekat: do you have a cat that looks like a cow???
;-)

Does The Kat have a cat? The Kat is The Kat.

Why my name? In a local Dutch dialect 'goede' (good) is pronounced as 'goeie' with a very harsh g, almost a k, and, as I happen to be black and white like the Frisians, it is not too difficult to imagine where my name comes from. I just happen to be a good black and white cat. Very good say most, so maybe it should have been heelkoeiekat

Edited on Dec 31, 2010 at 15:12 by koeiekat

Jan 08, 2011 at 06:41

well, heelkoeiekat, gelukkig nieuwjaar dan maar!

Jan 08, 2011 at 21:18

Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

All times are CEST. The time is now 01:13

Privacy Policy  -  Contact