Forum

6 posts

How do you make fonts?

Apr 14, 2010 at 19:40

Hello,

I'm new here, buit how do you make fonts?

Apr 14, 2010 at 20:20

Apr 22, 2010 at 22:34

OK. Let me explain, how I make my fonts. I'm Peter Wiegel and I have a lot of my fonts here and more on my website. With more than 1,5 Mio Downloads here, they coudn't be wrong...

Mostly I start with a pencil-sketch or a good scan, if I redraw an existinmg old font. This scan I import in CorelDRAW, where I draw my glyphs. for a handwritten style font, I draw centerlines, give it an caligraphic outline and transform this outline into objects. Is it an more construckted font, I draw simple primitives, from them all the glyphs can be build with less modification on the primitives. You can see this in my preview-graphic for my font "Moderne Fette Schwabacher" here: http://www.peter-wiegel.de/ModerneSchwabacher.html
Than all the parts of a glyph will be melted together and than exported from Corel into a raw-font. This I open in Fontlab Studio to correct all the spacing, font-metrics. font-information and a lot more. Also all the glyphs with diacritics are made in Fontlab, cause this is mostly a copy and paste job, with less outline-modification.

Apr 24, 2010 at 05:47

I'm not surprised that you get so many downloads, Peter. Your work looks almost too professioanl to be free.

~bito

Apr 24, 2010 at 21:33

He he! I like the 'almost'!

Apr 24, 2010 at 22:53

I know what metaphasebrothel means, when he said "almost". Between my fonts, there are some, that does not look very professional, I know. And I thought, that I shouldn't post it here, cause these fomts where made in a very short time as an experiment. However, they have become very popular, much more than I ever expect. On the other hand, there are some, where I have spent much more time to build in a more professional way, but they are less popular...

All times are CEST. The time is now 03:06

Privacy Policy  -  Contact