Ad by radiandi

Forum

7 posts

Generating a font in FontForge. Some newbie questions!

Feb 21, 2017 at 14:53

Hey guys,

Very new to font design and very new to the font forge format (this email list) so bear with me.

I created my first font last week. For the most part, it went well.
It says my em size should be 2 (but it's 1000). If I change it to 2, the font does not generate properly.
I also get "self intersecting" and "missing points of extrema" errors. But the font still generates if I keep the em size at 1000.

I have a few problems I need help with.

1. Spaces do not work with the font. When I use it in Adobe (looking at illustrator right now) when I hit the space bar, a rectangular cliff pops up between letters. When I hit the space bar in Microsoft word, the font becomes unrecognized (word changed the next typed letter to a generic font).

Any ideas how to export the font so this doesn't happen?

2. The thumbnail for my font is a weird, zoomed in shape (not the letterforms of the font). Is there a way to choose what my thumbnail for the font is within font forge?

Thanks so much for your help! I'd love to have a working font and understand this software more.

Feb 21, 2017 at 17:55

Feb 21, 2017 at 18:45

Thanks for your help!

I found where to put the space glyph. But what do I put here? I just defined the width of the box (set to the width of the other letters which is 1000) for the space glyph and re-generated the font.

Now when I type, it's random letters (not the assigned letters within Fontforge) and the weird rectangle glyph is still there (can't use the space function properly still)
When I clear the space glyph, the letters go back to typing correctly. A shows up as Z. S as R, D as C etc.

Any idea whit his would be?

Edited 5 times. Last edit on Feb 21, 2017 at 19:09 by avigo

Feb 21, 2017 at 20:21

Feb 21, 2017 at 20:32

That link just talks about making sure you think about spacing. Doesn't give anything technical.

And your screenshot above is what mine looks like except that mine has a question mark above it.

Please see me last comment to see the problems I am having.

Thanks again

Edited on Feb 21, 2017 at 20:33 by avigo

Feb 21, 2017 at 20:47

avigo said  

And your screenshot above is what mine looks like except that mine has a question mark above it.

http://www.dafont.com/forum/read/165638/having-trouble-with-unicode-for-whitespace-glyph-fontforge?highlight=650462#650462

claudeserieux@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2017 at 21:29

claudeserieux said  
avigo said  

http://www.dafont.com/forum/read/165638/having-trouble-with-unicode-for-whitespace-glyph-fontforge?highlight=650462#650462

claudeserieux@gmail.com

Applying auto hint does not work either unfortunately

All times are CEST. The time is now 18:49

Privacy Policy  -  Contact