Ad by firstype

Forum

5 posts

Helvetica : PC/mac compatibilty

Oct 18, 2011 at 19:24

Hi there! I've got a huge problem with Helvetica and its compatibility between Mac and PC.

I've been working on a project on a Mac using InDesign CS 5.5 using Helvetica Neue UltraLight, UltraLight Italic, Light and Light Italic. As soon as I open the file on my PC on InDesign CS 5.5 as well, these fonts change completely. I try to re-conect them to the closest version I've got (which are Helvetica Neue LT Com or Pro 25 UltraLight, etc).

Using another library on Mac where Helvetica Neue UltraLight is named Helvetica Neue T1 25 UltraLight happens the same. Is there any Helvetica font 100% compatible with Mac and PC? How can I found out without spending lots of money, just in case it doesn't work and it is actually a waste of money?

Thank you guys!!

Oct 18, 2011 at 22:08

You have installed different flavours of the same type. Thus they behave differently.

Oct 19, 2011 at 09:14

Why haven't install the PC TTF on your Mac (to use the same font on both machines) ?

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:15

Hi, thanks guys!

I cannot install it on the Mac (basically, because is my boss' Mac plus she's been working on other issues of the same magazine and book and she cannot change the fonts now, even if they are similar I gues...).

Oct 19, 2011 at 14:24

Then you are facing the problem of not being able to work on the same file on different machines.
Be aware that if the job in the end has to go to a printshop and that printshop uses a again different version the result will be different again.

All times are CEST. The time is now 02:19

Privacy Policy  -  Contact