Forum

10 posts

Font on 1950s Car Club Jackets?

Sep 02, 2015 at 12:36

Can you please identify the font used on this 1950s Car Club Jacket - "Apollos":

Font on 1950s Car Club Jackets?

Suggested fonts

Old English Text  Suggested by donshottype 
Canterbury  Suggested by jarmandesign 

Sep 02, 2015 at 14:10

there will be some inconsistencies since itll be sewn on but id say Canterbury is your best bet.
Same goes with the Columbos (Lowercase c has been enlarged as a cap)

if anyone has a source on the Road Rumblers itd be much appreciated
Suggested font: Canterbury

Edited on Sep 02, 2015 at 14:36 by jarmandesign

Sep 02, 2015 at 22:58

Hi jarmandesign.

I think you got it!

But please explain how this Canterbury font was created in 2003 by Dieter Steffmann, but is being used by Car Clubs on their jackets in the 50s?

Cheers,
Dave

Sep 02, 2015 at 23:26

William Caslon created this general design over 200 years ago.
The jacket lettering of the 1950s would not have been an exact copy of a font, but rather a simplified rendition that could be sewn on the jacket or silk-screened on it.
The maker would presumably have seen a printed version of Old English Text and used it as a model.
This version dates from 1935.
As for Dieter Steffmann's fonts he said, in effect that they were "improved" versions, i.e. additional characters etc., of existing digital fonts that he felt were not properly available and that he wished to share with the world.
Canterbury is a rip of Old English Text.
Don
Suggested font: Old English Text

Sep 02, 2015 at 23:39

donshottype said  
William Caslon created this general design over 200 years ago.
The jacket lettering of the 1950s would not have been an exact copy of a font, but rather a simplified rendition that could be sewn on the jacket or silk-screened on it.
The maker would presumably have seen a printed version of Old English Text and used it as a model.
This version dates from 1935.
As for Dieter Steffmann's fonts he said, in effect that they were "improved" versions, i.e. additional characters etc., of existing digital fonts that he felt were not properly available and that he wished to share with the world.
Canterbury is a rip of Old English Text.
Don

Old English Text

cant argue with that, theres a ton of imitations

Sep 03, 2015 at 00:06

Thanks for the replies jarmandesign and Don.

So is there a visual difference between CANTERBURY, OLD ENGLISH TEXT Std and OLD ENGLISH TEXT MT, because when I put them all next to each other I can't see it?

Also, I noticed that on the "Apollos" jacket the font does have some noticeable differences to the typed CANTERBURY font: the "p" tail is elongated, the "s" seems to meet more in the middle, and the "A" and "l" letters also appear more elongated. Do you know of anyone that could manipulate the standard CANTERBURY font so that it looks more like it does on the jacket, because I would like to make an identical replica of the jacket, and the jacket maker says he needs the exact letters to trace?

Cheers,
Dave

Edited 4 times. Last edit on Sep 03, 2015 at 22:53 by Dagenham Dave

Sep 07, 2015 at 04:12

why not just throw it in to illustrator an adjust it yourself?
Again its not going to be exact due to the fact that the jacket is entirely handmade

Sep 07, 2015 at 04:46

jarmandesign said  
why not just throw it in to illustrator an adjust it yourself?

Because I have limited computer skills and wouldn't know where to start?

Sep 07, 2015 at 04:55

well in that case, just use the font as is - the minor imperfections are only gonna be noticed by you

Sep 15, 2015 at 11:10

The guy making me the jacket put together a great version, but I don't know how to upload it to show you, because I can't see a way of adding an image to a reply.

Edited on Sep 15, 2015 at 11:11 by Dagenham Dave

All times are CEST. The time is now 17:43

Privacy Policy  -  Contact