Ad by Jaynz

Forum

11 posts

redoing logo for client

Aug 13, 2015 at 09:14

Can anyone tell me what these 2 fonts are? Thank you!

redoing logo for client

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:41

HELM seems to be a variation on an old typeface that Letraset once called Manuscript Capitals and Dan X. Solo called Daisy Rimmed. I have never seen that M but that one can be made with ease with an n and a fancy n. See http://www.dafont.com/forum/read/96483/help-please-what-font-is-the-word-ashbourne

Aug 13, 2015 at 20:16

Yes, Manuscript Captals -- copyright 1972 by Letraset according to my old Letraset Product Manual.
The same name and design is also shown as "Robert Trogman Foto Star Manuscript Capitals" with no mention of the Letraset copyright. Source Luc Devroye: http://luc.devroye.org/fonts-49306.html
I have no idea who actually designed Manuscript Capitals, although I suspect that Robert Trogman picked it up from Letraset for his FotoStar company rather than did the design himself.
Don

Edited on Aug 13, 2015 at 20:18 by donshottype

Aug 13, 2015 at 21:58

It so seems that both Letraset and Dan X. Solo only used a limited number from all available characters. Like in this thread, every once in a while a character that I have never seen pops-up. The H and E are easy as they are in Dan X. Solo Daisy Rimmed. The M, as said, can be made easily. Be it that the letter-shape will be different to this sample to keep it congruent with the other characters with such a tail.

Edited on Aug 13, 2015 at 22:19 by koeiekat

Aug 13, 2015 at 22:21

Aug 13, 2015 at 23:22

I like the last one, Good finished tone.
So when will we see your version -- which I know would be head & shoulders above the the sloppy version now available?
Don

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:44

The version available here on dafont is completely unusable - to say the least. I have a version on the drawing board since late 2007 which never seems to finish as new shapes turn up all the time as here in this thread. Maybe I should make it a family ... but when ... dunno.

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:17

Now I remember, Manuscript Capitals / Daisy Rimmed is based on a typeface drawn for Harper's Bazaar, the Harper. In 2009 Nick Curtis published Weekly Bazaar NF, based on the Harper without the rim: http://myfonts.us/td-pZJl7F

Aug 14, 2015 at 15:40

Good info.
Harper was originally cut and probably designed by by Gustave E. Schroeder.
Don

Aug 14, 2015 at 15:45

I thought it was designed, or rather drawn, for fun, by one or two Harper's Bazaar employees. Anyway, that is what I remember reading somewhere a year or so ago.

Aug 14, 2015 at 18:07

My info, from Loy's book on 19th century punch-cutters, doesn't give a lot of details.
It's quite possible that the magazine's employees sketched the letters and Schroeder transformed them into something that could be printed with the technology of the day, i.e. metal type. At the time this whole process was considered as tradesman's work and beneath the dignity of being documented. Unfortunate.
Don

All times are CEST. The time is now 02:19

Privacy Policy  -  Contact