Cinema  Suggested by donshottype 
Marlowe  Suggested by donshottype 
Epic Shaded  Suggested by donshottype 

Jul 12, 2015 at 21:26

The lettering has some similarity to Marlowe
Don
Suggested font: Marlowe

Jul 12, 2015 at 21:58

This an OPTI font called Cinema solid, using the optional E.
Most OPTI fonts were pirated clones of digital fonts made by other fontmakers. As far as I can tell Cinema Solid was an original digital creation by OPTI.
Unfortunately OPTI fonts are now orphans and there is no legitimate way to acquire them. So I am not posting a link to it.
dON

Jul 12, 2015 at 22:53

Link to the phototype era shaded version.
It might be by VGC Typositor.
Don
Suggested font: Cinema

Edited on Jul 12, 2015 at 22:57 by donshottype

Jul 12, 2015 at 23:09

Don, Castcraft's digital fonts were not clones. If they were, all Adobe digital fonts would be clones. They are a digital format of an existing type, some technically better made and some not, but as they are individual digital formats made from existing analog (film) types they are not clones or copies according to USA jurisprudence those days. Jackie, when around, can explain to you better than I can the ultimate stupidity of the sentence that lead to that jurisprudence. And also how money can manipulate the law. That is, over there.

So, whether people like it or not or being abandoned or not Castcraft fonts have the very same legal status as, for example, Bitstream fonts. You do remember how Bitstream started, do you?

And as far as Adobe goes, how many (many??) typefaces did Adobe actually design? Dig from here to down under and then tell me, how many?

Jul 12, 2015 at 23:10

The font seems to have been originally called Epic Shaded,which was designed by Allen Haley. According to a quote in the article referenced below, “Setting Epic Shaded requires manual dexterity, a fit and supple body and the reactions of a ferret after a rabbit.” I have no idea whether this refers to using dry transfer sheets, self adhesive film or something else.
http://www.commarts.com/Columns.aspx?pub=6665&pageid=1748
In use 1970: http://www.recordsbymail.com/uploads/5-23-14-2/48920.jpg
Don
Suggested font: Epic Shaded

Edited on Jul 13, 2015 at 11:13 by drf

Jul 12, 2015 at 23:27

Hi koeiekat.
The main point with OPTI is that there is no current legal distributor of their fonts. The intellectual property rights still exist and presumably belong to the estate of the Castcraft business. I have not seen a statement from Castcraft placing the fonts in the public domain. AFAIK nobody has tracked down the current ownership of Csstcraft/OPTI intellectual property. Using OPTI fonts without permission is inappropriate.
Don

Jul 12, 2015 at 23:36

Hi koeiekat.
On the clone issue I was not referring to making a digital version of a typeface image. Under, US law -- the famous Summer Stone case and his spade shaped terminal on the _r_ -- all that is protected are the digital outlines, which are covered by software protection. BTW I am neither an IP lawyer nor an American, so anyone wanting guidance on this point should dig up a qualified lawyer. Also, the legal protections in some other jurisdictions are much more rigorous than in the US.
The complaints about OPTI clones concern fonts where their fonts used the digital outlines of those produced by other creators of digital fonts.
Don

Jul 12, 2015 at 23:44

I forgot to note that Intellectual Property protection of the look of a font has existed since the mid 19th century -- at least in the US -- where the maker obtains a design patent which protects the design for a limited number of years. Design patents for fonts are now very rare.
Don

Jul 12, 2015 at 23:47

Re: Bitsteam. I have checked many of the digital outlines of their fonts against the Monotype/Linotype/Adobe version and found that they are significantly different, and sometimes better engineered. So I don't consider the Bitstream fonts to be clones.
Don

Jul 30, 2015 at 21:58

@ Don
Late, I know. The Epic Shaded is most likely the one but I don't see how that one with that overlap can ever make it to the digital world.
On the copyright issue, until some 20 years ago copyright protection did not exist in the USA, the USA being one of the very few nations that had not ratified the Convention of Bern. That is why American type designers had to file for a patent which gave far less protection than the copyright protection of said Convention. And only a few years vs the 70 years after the death of the designer, without any need to file anything (keeping a paper trail always is a good thing though).

You don't need to be a lawyer or consult a lawyer to understand the Convention of Bern. You don't have to read the full paper to understand what it is all about. The concise paper is easy to read and very clear. There can be no doubt.

The typography world always refers to the (outdated) USA law as if that were global law while it is (was) the one and only exception to the rule.

On Castcraft, they have completely abandoned the typography scene. When still in that business with a website on that subject they never responded to any inquiry. Did not even sell the CDs anymore. They do not really seem to care.
Under US law at the time there was no copyright infringement as their fonts were their own digital versions of existing type designs. As did Bitstream, as did Dan X. Solo, as did Adobe to name a few. As said, copyright protection did not exist in the USA.

Did I say Bitstream fonts are clones? Nope. They were made with the Linotype films Bitstreams founder took when leaving Linotype and then made their own digital versions.

Have fun and be nice to the cats

Jul 31, 2015 at 23:17

@koeiekat
Just saw your last post.
I agree about the problems of making Epic Shaded work in digital format. Perhaps a lot of ligatures?
Sooner or later the OPTI-Castcraft issue will have its day in court and hopefully life will be simpler for people -- like myself -- who believe that some of their original digital fonts are pretty well made and worthy of use.
The copyright/design patent issues we discuss show why IP law firms are rich and font designers are not
Have you ever visited the WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization) building in Geneva. I have; it's a real palace for the legal beagles
BTW your report of the Bitstream story agrees with my own notes. In any case the fonts were often better made than the Linotype versions.
Cheers
Don

All times are CEST. The time is now 05:20

Privacy Policy  -  Contact