Forum

5 posts

This should really be in FAQ

Deleted user 427162
Sep 14, 2011 at 18:50

The standard definition for each type of license agreement option on this site should really be listed in FAQ. It's difficult to gauge exactly what each author is looking for in terms of copyright claims and definitions of commercial uses. I've seen several of these questions in the forum, and I have my own question about it. It just feels like something that should be covered when new users are trying to figure out how to use this site.

Format should probably be something along the lines of:
"What do the licensing agreements mean?
[Add a quick blurb that explains what the licensing agreements are, as well as how they work. Most of this is covered in "Are the fonts free of charge?" question, and these two questions could probably be consolidated into one overall question]

Public Domain/GNU GPL - [definition here]
Free - [definition here]
Free for Personal Use - [definition here]
Donationware - [definition here]
Shareware - [definition here]
Demo - [definition here]
Unknown - [definition here]

Most of our fonts come with more information in either a README file, or within the file's properties menu. (right click on the file, and select properties. It's under the details tab) If you have any doubts, questions, or concerns, please contact the author."

On a related note, here was my original question:

From what I understand, I could create an image using a "free for personal use" font for something that I don't intend to sell. However, if I want to post that image on a commercial website, i.e. deviantART, could that author go after me for copyright infringement?

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:01

Each author has is own definition of the "personnal use". Is impossible to give on unique definition of that. Otherwise, the definition will be "contact the author to know the limites of a free use".

For the rest, wikipedia can give you a clear definition.
Public Domain/GNU GPL : You can do what you want.
Free : You can use for all your applications (I'm not sure you can modify it)
Free for Personal Use - In doubt, contact the author
Shareware : You can try it but if you use it realy, you must pay.
Donationware - Idem Shareware but you pay not the author but some charity bizness
Demo : Idem Shareware but the most time, the font is not complete.
Unknown : contact the author if you can.

Deleted user 427162
Sep 15, 2011 at 16:59

Those are pretty good definitions. Thank you very much.

I still think these should be within the FAQ, even if they're loosely defined.

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:26

I agree, this should be added to the FAQ. It's a good idea. And actually, IT IS a frequently asked question...
For your DeviantArt question, if you use it to create your art there is no problem as long as you don't sell your art via deviant art (you can buy prints from a artist on deviant art)

Edited on Sep 16, 2011 at 10:27 by vinz

Deleted user 427162
Sep 16, 2011 at 22:30

I don't sell prints via dA, so that's not a problem. Thank you for your advice.

All times are CEST. The time is now 18:19

Privacy Policy  -  Contact