Forum

28 posts

Problem solved... "The file.... does not appear to be a valid font."

Aug 15, 2011 at 22:53

I'm on Windows 7. After I unzipped the downloaded fonts folder, I tried to install the .ttf fonts in different ways: copy it into the fonts folder... right click and install... But the same message kept popping up: "The file.... does not appear to be a valid font."

I found the font here: Script > Handwritten Font name is: "Hand of Sean" by Nice and Ripe Ltd

Does anyone have the same problem? Thanks very much if you can help...

Edited 3 times. Last edit on Aug 16, 2011 at 20:15 by js06cd

Aug 15, 2011 at 23:13

As long as you carefully avoid to tell what font you are talking about I will carefully avoid to give you an answer.

Aug 16, 2011 at 02:50

koeiekat is right. We need to know what font you are talking about and where you downloaded it.

Aug 16, 2011 at 16:16

Thanks for pointing that out!

I found the font here: Script > Handwritten Font name is: "Hand of Sean" by Nice and Ripe Ltd

So this is the message I've been getting: "The file Handsean.ttf does not appear to be a valid font."

Aug 16, 2011 at 16:51

I uploaded it to Megaupload not in a compressed format. Try downloading and see if that works...

Megaupload link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D74M0K2T

Aug 16, 2011 at 17:12

notfon1234 said  
I uploaded it to Megaupload not in a compressed format. Try downloading and see if that works...

Megaupload link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D74M0K2T

Thanks for doing that, I tried installing the file you uploaded and the same error message occurred. Could it be my computer's security settings that were preventing me from installing new fonts?

Because the same error message appears for all other fonts I downloaded here too.

Aug 16, 2011 at 17:48

Do you have another computer? try downloading fonts on that computer, then see if they re valid. Otherwise, your internet connection may be the issue

Edited on Aug 16, 2011 at 17:48 by notfon1234

Aug 16, 2011 at 20:15

notfon1234 said  
Do you have another computer? try downloading fonts on that computer, then see if they re valid. Otherwise, your internet connection may be the issue

Problem solved! The problem turned out to be the security setting of the computer.
Thanks for your help!

Jul 03, 2012 at 07:39

Can you please elaborate what were the security settings that was causing problem? Even I am facing the similar problem.

Sep 15, 2012 at 23:00

Yes, elaboration would be much appreciated. I'm running into the same issue and would love to know what security setting you changed.

Oct 19, 2012 at 03:57

i'm having the same issue, could you please elaborate how you've fixed this please..

Edited on Oct 19, 2012 at 03:57 by onsitehelper

Oct 22, 2012 at 00:25

Hi all, I've fixed this issue by promoting the user to local admin on the machine

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:12

I had same problem on my Vista computer. I got the "not a valid font" message attempting to install a font. Then I relogged in as user "Administrator" and the font installed without a hitch. This is confusing to me since my regular User account has Administrative privileges. Go figure.

Note: By default Vista doesn't show the Administrator user on the login screen. You have to go through a few hoops to get that to happen. If I remember correctly, it goes something like this: Under your regular login (if that has Administrator privileges) open a DOS box "cmd.exe". But don't open it right away. Rather right-click it and then select "run as Administrator" in the menu that rolls down. Then type into the DOS box: "net user Administrator /active:yes" and hit Enter. Then restart the computer and the Administrator user option should appear on your login screen. If the Administrator account has a password and you don't know it, you can get around this by logging back on under your regular user name. Then manage the Administrator account through User Accounts in the Control Panel--delete the password, then create another one, if you want. Then restart and you should be set. Good luck!

May 16, 2013 at 17:19

Problem solved! I did a google search for "font converter" and uploaded the file. Even though it was marked as a .ttf I told it to convert to a .ttf and BAM!! It worked. Download to your desktop and right click the file and click on "Install". I knew it wasn't difficult.

May 17, 2013 at 23:31

notAvalidFont said  
Problem solved! I did a google search for "font converter" and uploaded the file. Even though it was marked as a .ttf I told it to convert to a .ttf and BAM!! It worked. Download to your desktop and right click the file and click on "Install". I knew it wasn't difficult.

NOT AS DIFFICULT AS YOUR MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 18, 2013 at 01:36

notAvalidFont said  

May 18, 2013 at 02:02

salmacordero said  
notAvalidFont said  

Are you feeling well? Suffering from bipolar disorder?

Oct 20, 2013 at 15:17

notAvalidFont said  

thank you-- this works for Vista too with most fonts.

Oct 31, 2015 at 16:20

I just joined to show our solution to this problem we had. Same as above, doesn't appear to be a valid font or the font file is invalid. This is on our Windows 10 pro machine. After trying the font converter online and trying many different font files and spending a good hour or two looking online for a solution, I was about to give up. I then remembered that Windows Firewall likes to stick its nose into everything so that might, by chance, be the issue. Went into the task manager, services, open services link on the bottom, looked for Windows Firewall and turned it ON again. Tried to install or just View the Font files and sure enough, all was well. I could view and install ALL the font files that I had downloaded for my Wife online. Windows Defender and Firewall are OFF on all of our systems here. I learned a while back that Windows Firewall is involved in a lot and you'll need to have it on from time-to-time nowadays. I am not sure if others will have the same issue if they've installed a different Firewall, like Norton or Avast, because I have noticed on my Father's system which has Norton installed, Windows Firewall has been disabled by Norton(I think). Not sure if the same problem will pop up in a case like that because maybe it's the need of WINDOWS FIREWALL being ON and not just any Firewall. Just thought I'd share on this...

Edited on Oct 31, 2015 at 16:21 by J&G

Mar 11, 2016 at 14:41

"I just joined to show our solution to this problem we had. Same as above, doesn't appear to be a valid font or the font file is invalid. This is on our Windows 10 pro machine. After trying the font converter online and trying many different font files and spending a good hour or two looking online for a solution, I was about to give up. I then remembered that Windows Firewall likes to stick its nose into everything so that might, by chance, be the issue. Went into the task manager, services, open services link on the bottom, looked for Windows Firewall and turned it ON again. Tried to install or just View the Font files and sure enough, all was well. I could view and install ALL the font files that I had downloaded for my Wife online. Windows Defender and Firewall are OFF on all of our systems here. I learned a while back that Windows Firewall is involved in a lot and you'll need to have it on from time-to-time nowadays. I am not sure if others will have the same issue if they've installed a different Firewall, like Norton or Avast, because I have noticed on my Father's system which has Norton installed, Windows Firewall has been disabled by Norton(I think). Not sure if the same problem will pop up in a case like that because maybe it's the need of WINDOWS FIREWALL being ON and not just any Firewall. Just thought I'd share on this..."

OMG thank you sir!
I know this is not related but i had an error on counterstrike source that stop the game loading .tff files and guess what - Windows Firewall was the cause.
Thank you so much - many hours spent! I even signed up to this forum just to reply and say thanks :P

All times are CET. The time is now 09:14

Privacy Policy  -  Contact