Ad by Ronny_Std

Forum

8 posts

What is the minimum character requirement for Cyrillic fonts?

Jun 03, 2014 at 11:11

Hi everyone... hope you can help.

I am designing a new font that will contain some Latin, Greek and Cyrillic characters. I know which Latin and Greek characters I want to include, but I am not sure which Cyrillic characters to include. Could anyone tell me the minimum character set required for Cyrillic fonts please?

I currently plan on including the following:

А Б В Г Д Е Ж З И Й К Л М Н О П Р С Т У Ф Х Ц Ч Ш Щ Ъ Ы Ь Э Ю Я

(hopefully, those characters display properly but, if not, they are the Russian alphabet, excluding all letters eliminated before 1918 as found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_alphabet)

Appreciate any help on this.

Cheers, Steve

Jun 03, 2014 at 11:55

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphabet_cyrillique#Alphabet_cyrillique_contemporain_russe
scroll down for letters being used now (uppercase & loweracse)

(it's better on the french side of wikipedia, sorry)

Edited 2 times. Last edit on Jun 03, 2014 at 11:56 by marty666

Jun 03, 2014 at 11:57

(colored backgrounds are not used anymore)

Jun 03, 2014 at 12:49

Hi Steve,

For the Cyrillic alphabet, you can take a look at some of my fonts (Old School United or Peach Milk for example). These two have a lot of Cyrillic characters, and cover several languages. Send me a private message if you want to talk more about all this.

Unfortunately, I'm also a beginner when it comes to Greek characters, so I won't be able to help on this one.

Apr 09, 2016 at 09:57

A basic (modern) Greek font must have 134 characters (upper and lower). Between them, numbers, and some of them are similar with english characters.

Check thumbnail at oi67.tinypic.com/4he3bl.jpg

If your pc support greek:
ά έ ή ί ϊ ΐ ό ύ ϋ ΰ ώ ς
Ά Έ Ή Ί Ϊ Ϊ́ Ό Ύ Ϋ Ϋ́ Ώ Σ
ΑΒΓΔΕΖΗΘΙΚΛΜΝΞΟΠΡΣΤΥΦΧΨΩ

αβγδεζηθικλμνξοπρστυφχψω
;:~!@#$%^&*()_+`-=[]{}¨"|/.,

Greek questionmark is ;

Edited 2 times. Last edit on Apr 09, 2016 at 10:18 by frd

Apr 09, 2016 at 10:20

@mpia, thank you for your answer. I was led to believe by a Greek friend that accents on the uppercase weren't really used anymore, is that true?

Edited on Apr 09, 2016 at 10:22 by frd

Apr 09, 2016 at 10:47

@frd Accents are still in use either on uppercase and lower case. The rules haven't change. Some people (designers also) avoid to use them on the uppercase. You can avoid accents (uppercase) in post titles such as newspapers, blogs etc. Some letters such as the greek "i,u" must have "separating dots" known as umlaut in Deutch. If you skip them, the meaning and the pronounce of some words (not all) may change greatly.

Check pic to understand..... oi63.tinypic.com/zmxx6f.jpg

Apr 09, 2016 at 10:54

I see, thank you for the clarification!

All times are CEST. The time is now 18:13

Privacy Policy  -  Contact