Ad by marzhal

Forum

20 posts

SOS problems with Fontforge

Apr 04, 2014 at 20:22

Hello everyone! Sorry my english is a little bit rusty..So I have a huge issue with fontforge and it is really urgent to find a solution:
I have created my font in illustrator and imported it in fontforge, everything seemed all right, but when I generated my font in .TTC, I realized that my letters are not always at the right distance of one another..my other problem is that every time I hit space-bar I get a rectangle and i have spent hours trying to change these issues and searched on the internet, but I still can‘t figure it out..Could someone help me please?

Apr 04, 2014 at 21:05

The answers are in the user manual so do not hesitate to start reading. Check for 'space' and 'advance width'.

Apr 04, 2014 at 21:40

Create a glyph 'space' (32 0x20 U+0020 'space').

Apr 04, 2014 at 21:46

Where do I do this?

Apr 04, 2014 at 21:48

I started to follow the instructions found on this site http://en.flossmanuals.net/fontforge/spacing-metrics-and-kerning/ ( I started to search and fix problems) and the outcome was that I lost parts of my letters ..:(

Apr 04, 2014 at 21:54

Did anyone say kerning? Read this: Advance width.

Apr 04, 2014 at 21:57

julestream said  
Where do I do this?

In glyph creation.

RTFRMF!! Frog!

Apr 04, 2014 at 21:57

Tu as les 'Kerning individual pairs' et les 'Kerning with classes'.
Les 'Kerning individual pairs' sont les approches dite oridinaire.
Les 'Kerning with classes' sont pour les OpenTypes, c'est un peu plus complexe.

Apr 04, 2014 at 22:04

koeiekat said  
julestream said  
Where do I do this?

In glyph creation.

RTFRMF!! Frog!

I‘m not a typographer, im just trying to use this program for a project, obviously I dont know how to use it and where to find stuff.. :/ Thanks for trying to help but I dont find anywhere "glyph" création..

Apr 04, 2014 at 22:05

Ah cool tu parles en français ^^ c‘est plus simple comme ça. Merci pour ton aide, je vais essayer Kerning individual pairs

Apr 04, 2014 at 22:15

Kerning all individual character combinations is one of the most time consuming parts of creating font. Much better, in all cases, is to set the advance width for each character correctly. You might understand that the left and right advance widths for an A and a V and an L or T will be different from an H or Z. Having done that you will need far less kerning pairs mainly concerned with A, V, L, T and the like. Are you still there?

Apr 04, 2014 at 22:20

Yess! Thank you!

Apr 04, 2014 at 22:24

julestream said  
koeiekat said  
julestream said  
Where do I do this?

In glyph creation.

RTFRMF!! Frog!

I‘m not a typographer, im just trying to use this program for a project, obviously I dont know how to use it and where to find stuff.. :/ Thanks for trying to help but I dont find anywhere "glyph" création..

Try insert ...

Apr 04, 2014 at 22:25

Apr 04, 2014 at 22:28

julestream said  
Thanks for trying to help but I dont find anywhere "glyph" création..

http://cjoint.com/14av/DDewBsNvMKH_glyph.png

Apr 04, 2014 at 22:34

ok, so I succesfully did the "kerning " part thanks to you guys now could you please explain me step by step how do i get rid of the rectangle? (I‘m a bit slow and still don‘t get it..) I understand that I have to create a new glyph , but how and where do I put it?

Apr 04, 2014 at 22:35

oh thanks a lot!

Apr 04, 2014 at 23:05

what should I put in this "space" gylph ?

Apr 04, 2014 at 23:44

julestream said  
what should I put in this "space" gylph ?

Pour définir l'espace entre les mots et si tu mets rien c'est le '.notdef glyph ' qui va prendre la place.

The .notdef glyph is very important for providing the user feedback that a glyph is not found in the font. This glyph should not be left without an outline as the user will only see what looks like a space if a glyph is missing and not be aware of the active font's limitation.

http://typophile.com/node/59392

Edited on Apr 04, 2014 at 23:46 by claudeserieux

Apr 05, 2014 at 00:21

I did it!! Thank U a lot guys

All times are CET. The time is now 10:46

Privacy Policy  -  Contact