Ad by YeahNoah

Forum

15 posts

Hey what does donation ware mean?

Feb 23, 2014 at 18:18

Hello everyone. I know a bit about the donationware, but i wanted to know exactly everything about it. Is it like you can set the amount of money that the person need to donate to get my font. Or they can choose how much to donate, even 0.01 dollar, or is it just option to donate. Please tell me about donation ware is it like you can set the amount of money they need to donate to get font or they can choose how much to donate.

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:06

It can be an other thing. Some othors don's want money for themselves but instead ask for a donation to a NGO or charity association.

Feb 24, 2014 at 15:30

Menhir said  
It can be an other thing. Some othors don's want money for themselves but instead ask for a donation to a NGO or charity association.

No i just want to know can i set amount of money that the purchaser need to pay me or he can choose that amount.

Feb 24, 2014 at 16:06

no

Feb 24, 2014 at 16:08

donation : donator choses what he feels fair to give to the designer. Might be $0.01, or $1000
selling : designer choses the price at which he will sell the font. Usually from $10 to $50

Feb 24, 2014 at 19:00

daaams said  
donation : donator choses what he feels fair to give to the designer. Might be $0.01, or $1000
selling : designer choses the price at which he will sell the font. Usually from $10 to $50

So is there a way to set amount of price for the font?

Feb 25, 2014 at 00:13

no, not on dafont.
go check myfonts if you're planning to earn something.

Feb 25, 2014 at 03:51

@TheCrafterian: If this inquiry is about your submission, Futuristic Evolution, don't be selling the cow just yet.

Edited on Feb 25, 2014 at 09:22 by drf

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:04

The best way is to compare with an other font with the same quality and the same diffusion.

Feb 25, 2014 at 16:06

metaphasebrothel said  
@TheCrafterian: If this inquiry is about your submission, Futuristic Evolution, don't be selling the cow just yet.

No i am making a new and better quality font and i wanted to set it as donationware. Wait but is it posibble to make that for example it is only for personal use for free, but i can say in description that the person need to donate me for example 10$ dollars to use it for commercional purposes. Because i heard that some people do it.

Feb 25, 2014 at 16:29

yeah, just chose "free for personal use"

Feb 25, 2014 at 17:13

Still, put the license info in the header. Then at least that will stay with the font when other font sites copy your font and redistribute it without any text file that you may have submitted to dafont.

Feb 25, 2014 at 19:15

TheCrafterian said  
metaphasebrothel said  

No i am making a new and better quality font and i wanted to set it as donationware. Wait but is it posibble to make that for example it is only for personal use for free, but i can say in description that the person need to donate me for example 10$ dollars to use it for commercional purposes. Because i heard that some people do it.

@TheCrafterian: Try downloading a few 'Free for personal use' or 'donationware' fonts here, from different designers. Check the .zip file for supplemental files called 'read me', 'license', etc. If you like the wording that someone else has used, write something similar, but not exactly the same, and include it with your new font, when you submit it.

koeiekat's suggestion to include licensing terms in the font header is also excellent advice. Keep in mind that the download at DaFont would include your licensing terms document, but hundreds of other font download sites might add your font, without your knowledge or consent, and without including your read me document. Someone downloading your font from one of those sites might assume that it's free for all use. If your license terms are included in the header, they will see that, if they open the font in preview. Avoid putting your e-mail address in the header, however, as this will often appear in search engine results, which will result in you receiving a lot of spam e-mails for penis enlargement pills and from Russian dating sites.

Jun 26, 2020 at 08:58

hello, i have no idea what donation ware means, do i have to pay the owner of the font im using a spesific amount? or does it depend on the person using it?

Jun 26, 2020 at 09:54

As it's been said in other topics, you should always contact the author and check with them.

All times are CEST. The time is now 11:17

Privacy Policy  -  Contact