Forum

6 posts

How can I know the font file type before download it?

Jan 18, 2014 at 22:03

I am specifically looking for "Bitmap" fonts, so I selected "Themes" and "Pixel/Bitmap". The first strange detail was that there is just one size for the fonts because bitmap fonts are defined in a grid of pixels that have horizontal and vertical sizes. I downloaded a couple fonts as test and discovered that one font file have .ttf extension (True Type Font) and the other one .otf extension (Open Type Font). This confused me a lot, because .ttf and .otf are *precisely* the opposite thing of "pixel/bitmap" fonts! Bitmap fonts in Windows have .fon or .fnt extensions...

Then, I open the "Help on the Bitmap fonts use" and read that "For the fonts with .fon extension...". So there are *real* Windows bitmaps fonts here! However, it is totally impractical to download a font just to check the type: all the fonts I tried so far are .ttf or .otf font files!

Is there a way so I can know the extension of the font file before downloaded? Is there a way to list just the "real" Bitmap (not .ttf nor .otf) fonts? TIA

PS - Yes, I know that .ttf font files can be converted into .fnt ones...

Jan 19, 2014 at 13:56

The ".fon" extension is actually shown instead of the usual "size" of the font. Like this: http://www.dafont.com/pokemon-ruby-sapphi.font

Above the "Download" button, you can see "Bitmap (.fon)". So on the main page of the Bitmap section, you should search for the term ".fon" and you will see the highlighted results

Jan 19, 2014 at 20:30

Thanks a lot for your answer!

I went to the main page of Pixel/Bitmap section, entered ".fon" in the search box and got "391 fonts on DaFont for .fon" listing, that includes these fonts: 914, N&D, NFS, Font, JECR, etc. When I reviewed these fonts, all of them are of .ttf file type! I repeated the search with "(.fon)" and got the same results...

Jan 20, 2014 at 09:31

I'm sorry, it seems like I didn't make myself clear

What I meant was: You first need to go here, on the main page of the Bitmap section: http://www.dafont.com/bitmap.php?fpp=100

Then, you will use the search feature of your browser (not the search feature on Dafont) by pressing either Ctrl + F, or simply F3. And then your browser will "highlight" where it finds ".fon" in the page, so you will see the ".fon" files

Jan 22, 2014 at 00:37

That works! Thanks a lot.

Jan 22, 2014 at 09:16

You're welcome

All times are CEST. The time is now 16:58

Privacy Policy  -  Contact