Forum

11 posts

Someone should try to replicate the Prada font

Nov 25, 2013 at 13:13

Many people around the web are asking about the Prada font, which until last year was actually just a wordmark. But now "the Prada font" is actually a font, although not available for purchase. I've seen many fonts inspired by company or movie logos around here, so I hope someone will replicate this soon, since the specimens are already available.

http://www.typetoken.net/typeface/prada-candy-typeface-by-gareth-hague-alias/

Nov 25, 2013 at 15:20

Nov 25, 2013 at 15:27

it's called trademark infringement AND font piracy, no ?

Nov 25, 2013 at 16:14

vinz said  
it's called trademark infringement AND font piracy, no ?

The font is not a registered product on the market, so no.
Piracy is when someone buys something and then makes it available for other people for free.

Nov 25, 2013 at 16:52

The PRADA trademark by PRADA S.A. in Luxembourg, , 1118.

Nov 25, 2013 at 16:52

Yeah, okay, wrong words.
I guess there is some copyright infringement somewhere...
have a try, ask Prada. I'm sure they'll be very happy.

Nov 26, 2013 at 15:43

Vinz, no violation at all unless someone calls it 'Prada' or something. You can legally recreate a typeface (from scratch, not copying data, naturally) without stomping on any LEGAL rights.

Nov 26, 2013 at 17:13

Jaynz said  
Vinz, no violation at all unless someone calls it 'Prada' or something. You can legally recreate a typeface (from scratch, not copying data, naturally) without stomping on any LEGAL rights.

Wrong.
The USPTO has given the PRADA trademark serial number of 73223768. The current federal status of this trademark filing is REGISTERED AND RENEWED.

Nov 26, 2013 at 18:17

Jaynz said  

It's not a problem of copyright of a font. It's a problem of trademark of the name "Prada".

Nov 26, 2013 at 19:45

Wrong Menhir. The font has been designed, see above, and therefore is copyright protected. Any other font following/copying that design is a copyright infringement and as such an economical offense. In the Netherlands the fine could easily be a quarter of a million Euro.

Dec 03, 2013 at 21:32

I don't make fonts, but I imagine it would be quite simple to make one that doesn't infringe and is in keeping with that particular designs' style. somehting like this maybe.

Edited 3 times. Last edit on Dec 03, 2013 at 21:38 by FTW

All times are CEST. The time is now 16:57

Privacy Policy  -  Contact