Foro

Posts de metaphasebrothel

What part of 100% free did you not understand? Just use it. That's why he made it.

There's got to be at least one Manfred Klein font with circles around numbers, and probably a few.

18/12/2014 a las 21:38  [respuesta]  Foglihtenno01

Try doing what you did before, when you could print it, and not what you did this time, when you couldn't. If you could do it before, but not now, the problem isn't with the font. It's also possible that your printer is out of ink.

I wasn't invited to Zombieland for my font identification skills.

14/12/2014 a las 19:53  [respuesta]  Font Creation Request

paxxpacis, the price range you're planning to offer may prick up a few ears, or provoke a few smiles. If you said £100, it would provoke laughter. If you said £10,000, you'd get some serious interest. We get these inquiries all the time, and four times out of five, from a Troll who just wants to mess with a few people he doesn't know. I'm not saying that's you, but there is the tendency to tar you with that same brush, based on our past experiences with these types of requests.

I don't know of any that actually resulted in a completed font being financially compensated by this sort of arrangement, at DaFont. Custom fonts often cost top dollar. A Newspaper, magazine, or a brand name often has a custom font designed for them, and nobody else gets to use it; it isn't sold to the public. Vogue Magazine, or The Times of London doesn't want your text to look like theirs. Most of these requests involve text for a video game, or something similar, where fine rendering for different text sizes isn't too important. Kids can do those a lot of the time.

I wouldn't be interested in this kind of assignment, creating intellectual property for the benefit of one stranger. You've said nothing in two posts that would interest anyone who could and would be interested in doing a competent job, but the kids are listening.

Dan, you need full A-Z alphabet, minimum. You could likely submit a font with upper case or lower case only, even if the full version has both. Numbers, symbols, punctuation, accented characters, etc. are always welcome, but not essential. If a font is not based on the Latin 26 character alphabet, (example: an ancient Roman design, that doesn't have 'J' and/ or 'U'), that would be OK. Omitting the S from the alphabet so that the font is useless without the commercial version would be cause for rejection, regardless of the quality of the glyphs offered.

Exceptions are made for dingbat fonts, especially many made more than about 15 years ago. If a dingbat font had 12 good glyphs and the rest was blank, it would likely be accepted.

If a dingbat font had one glyph, no matter how good it was, it would be rejected, (there is a sole exception to this rule, but it did not set a precedent).

If you just want to advertise your commercial fonts, you could upload at FontSpace. They don't have a review policy there; anyone who want to make their font available for download has only to submit their font file in a .zip archive, and it will be posted in a few minutes. It would be taken down quickly if the submission was a known copy-written work of a different author, and the submitter's upload privileges would be revoked.

Many good fonts are available on both sites, but there are a lot of fonts available on Fontspace that would be rejected, if submitted here. They aren't good enough.

Added: I didn't read the link urls. You're already familiar with the Fontspace submission process, but that advice also applied to other people reading this thread.

Editado el 14/12/2014 a las 19:31 por metaphasebrothel

14/12/2014 a las 18:06  [respuesta]  Font Creation Request

paxxpacis, if you want to receive sincere replies, you would first need to give us a lot more information. Some people could make a font for you in a couple of hours. Some could work on the same font for months. There are some font authors who make fonts as their primary source of income. There are a lot of authors who make some of their income from fonts, and some who make them for free.

Without any details, your responses are likely to come from teenagers, who usually know how to make half decent fonts. Maybe that's all you need. If you want functional, but non professional quality, you'll probably find someone willing to do that. If you're looking for a custom typeface, the sort of people who could do that don't read the DaFont forum, or they wouldn't be interested.

Making fonts isn't usually a 'work for hire' occupation. It's more of a hobby, with potential to generate some income. People don't make fonts for the monetary incentive, unless they are very talented, or very naive. Most people who make fonts want to chose their own subject matter as well, so the idea of making a font to someone else' desin specifications would appeal mainly to the designer that works quickly, and usually carelessly, with limited technical knowledge.

Imagine if you posted an advertisement in a newspaper, asking for someone to sculpt a statue for you, with details to follow. Who do you think would answer that ad, professional sculptors, or high school students, who took a pottery class at summer camp?

Editado el 14/12/2014 a las 18:11 por metaphasebrothel

14/12/2014 a las 01:00  [respuesta]  fonts into windows live mail

Here's a partial solution, I just successfully tried.

1) Install the font.

2) Open Microsoft Word.

3) Select Font and point size.

4) Type text, and add formatting.

5) Copy the text from MS Word, paste into an e-mail window, and send the e-mail. The e-mail recipient should see the text in the custom font display, provided that they have the same font installed. If not, the text would probably show in the default font, exactly the same way as if the custom font was used in a Word doc, but the font was not embedded in the document. I would strongly doubt that embedding would be part of the copy/ paste command.

I typed the lower case g from my font ObeyWrappers a few times in Word. After selecting and copying it, I pasted the text to my self addressed e-mail compose window, and sent. This is what I received:

(Yes, it is supposed to look like that, for two lines, with three g's per line, at 36 points).

There is no 'attachment paperclip' in the Inbox queue. I also went to nytimes.com, selected a portion of the page, copied it, pasted it into an e-mail Window, and sent that to myself. I received it, including the picture. The colour of text in which hyperlinks had been inserted changed from black to blue, but I observed no other changes. The image was included.

I didn't have to specify my outgoing e-mail as HTML, I just selected/ copied/ pasted/ sent. This is with a hotmail/ outlook e-mail account, so any of a number of e-mail servers should be able to do this, too.

Any recipient should be able to see custom font text display, but only if they have the same custom font installed. You just can't create the custom font text within the e-mail window, you have to paste it there from somewhere else.

I just learned this myself, so I figure at least some other people didn't know it, either.

12/12/2014 a las 05:05  [respuesta]  fonts into windows live mail

Menhir ha dicho  
metaphasebrothel ha dicho  
taking a screen capture of the document, to save it as an image file

Or make a PDF (easier for a long text).

True, but your solution isn't funny, Menhir.

10/12/2014 a las 19:05  [post initial]  DaFont download statistics

I always get the most downloads on Tuesdays. There's a mild decline on Wednesday and Thursday, and a sharper decline on Friday and the weekend. Monday numbers are usually comparable to Wednesdays.

Mine always follow this same pattern. I don't know why more people would download on a Tuesday than on any other day of the week. Perhaps, some years ago, huge batches of fonts were posted at DaFont on a Tuesday, every few weeks, and it's like why the buzzards keep coming to Hinckley, Ohio every year on March 15, because there was a fire at a stockyard there on March 15, around 1870, and all sorts of food animals were barbequed for them, so they keep coming back, hoping it will happen again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinckley_Township,_Medina_County,_Ohio

Editado 2 veces. Última edición el 10/12/2014 a las 19:08 por metaphasebrothel

10/12/2014 a las 18:47  [respuesta]  fonts into windows live mail

There is the additional option of preparing a document in a word processor that uses a custom font, taking a screen capture of the document, to save it as an image file, inserting the image in an e-mail, and setting the e-mail settings to HTML, so the image will appear to be text.

That can be done, but only at fairly large point sizes, particularly for the average DaFont font, that tends to degrade in displays below 36 points. Nobody would be able to read it on a phone, more than one or two words at a time, but it could be done.

Making text look decent below 20 point size requires more than an afternoon of work on Adobe Illustrator.

09/12/2014 a las 16:32  [respuesta]  fonts into windows live mail

koeiekat ha dicho  
... less politely.

What was impolite in "Always handy to understand a tool before using it" and "As long as you don't understand what you are doing you can not control what you are doing. Thus, learn"

I am stating that to achieve a desired result one has to know how to. Yet, maybe, in Ohio (Dayton?) it is the other way round

I didn't say that your reply to this question was impolite, koeiekat. I merely, and accurately, stated that your reply was less polite than mine.

Editado el 09/12/2014 a las 16:34 por metaphasebrothel

08/12/2014 a las 23:02  [respuesta]  fonts into windows live mail

@josiewhales: in a word processing app, you can use all fonts installed on your computer. In e-mail, you can use any of the fonts allowed by the e-mail server, usually about 15 or so common fonts like Garamond, Arial, Comic Sans, Verdana, Times New Roman, etc. If you want to use a different custom font in e-mail, you'd need to use it in a word processing document attached to the email, there's no connection between the fonts you have installed in your operating system, and the ones available for use in an browser window of e-mail. You can't make your shirt turn red, just because you have a red apple in your refrigerator. What you seem to want to do can't be done, because your e-mail server is not an installed application in your program files. That's what koiiekat was saying, less politely.

koeiekat ha dicho  
... neither of you thinks in English. ...

Is that so?

It is. I can tell from many of your sentence constructions. There's no shame attached.

koeiekat ha dicho  
... He meant Moonstar when he said Monster ...

How do you know?...

I know for the same reason that you would understand something spoken to you in pigeon Dutch. It's logical extrapolation of keywords in context. If you were lefthanded, you might also have understood him, as I did. You are twice disadvantaged in solving his verbal riddle, through no fault of your own.

kat and daaams, both of you read, write, speak and understand English, but neither of you thinks in English. That's why I understood the guy from Bangladesh, and you didn't. It's that simple. You probably each understand babelfish translations of your first languages, but not those of an acquired tongue.

Editado 2 veces. Última edición el 06/12/2014 a las 10:59 por metaphasebrothel

clippingpath ha dicho  
Thank you all I need full package of monster font can someone manage for only for me and it should be Unique package.

daaams ha dicho  
what's your real question ?
open a new thread AND BE PRECISE IN YOUR REQUEST IF YOU EXPECT ANY HELP.

He meant Moonstar when he said Monster. He wants to have a copy of the Moonstar Font, and he wants a copy of the Growler font shown in Lancon's image in post #2, and any other styles or weights, based on the same design. He wants someone to collect them together for him, in one .zip file. There was no need to shout at him, daaams.

05/12/2014 a las 01:07  [respuesta]  MailartRubberstamp

Sometimes an out of date archive extracting program can do this, too. I had the same version o Winrar installed for a few years, and it worked fine for most archives, but some DaFont .zips didn't open properly. The problem was at my end.

04/12/2014 a las 15:36  [respuesta]  disney used my font

des805 ha dicho  
this is going to sell real dumb but I thought I had a read me file attached , how do I make a read me file??

I don't know if you do. I didn't download your fonts. toto@k22's reply in #6 suggested that there isn't one.

Open Notepad, Give the document a name, Type the read me document, save it, include it in the .zip file when you submit a font. For many designers, the same read me is included in each of their fonts. In other cases, each read me is different for each font.

If you intended to have the same read me in every one of your fonts, you might be able to submit one in a .zip file to DaFont, and ask the webmaster to include it in each of the font .zips to which it would apply - list them all, by name, alphabetically. Having a read me in the DaFont .zip will not prevent the T-shirt incident from reoccurring, because you have no guarantee that your font will be downloaded from a site that includes read me documents. If you have commercial use instructions in the header of the font, and a download site removes those instructions to make the font appear to be free for all use, that would be a crime pretty much everywhere, and likely they would do that to other designers' work, besides your own. That sort of action would be considered 'malicious intent', in law, rather than an 'oops'.

The webmaster would not modify your fonts to include additional header information. It would be up to you to do that. You should do that with all your future font submissions, an at your discretion for any that are already circulating.

04/12/2014 a las 14:58  [respuesta]  disney used my font

des805, I looked at the "Sisters Forever" shirt from your link in post #5, as well as the character map on DaFont for your Cookie Chips font. I had hoped to amend your post #5 to include the image, but the interactive nature of the T-Shirt precluded inserting it with simple HTML image tags.

Add koeiekat: Done, the image location is http://scene7.targetimg1.com/is/image/Target/16512649?wid=410&hei=410 so that can be inserted with the img tag

In my opinion, the lettering on the T-Shirt appears to be using your Cookie Chips font. Keep in mind, however, that I'm probably tied for 4,095th place in font identifications, so I'm no expert.

I didn't download the font, as toto@k22 did, but he mentioned that there is no read me file enclosed in the DaFont download .zip. If the header, (ie: The text you add to the font file, with copyright/ license information), in the font itself makes no mention that there is a fee for commercial use, it's very possible that the manufacturer of the shirt may not have known that there was any such fee, and that would be entirely your own fault.

I don't know if you submit your fonts to other sites besides DaFont, but even if you don't, other font download sites can and will make your fonts available for download, often without including all of the files prepared by the author, as included in the DaFont download package. They might provide download links only for .ttf files, omitting files like read me documents, licenses, graphics and character guides, etc., in order to use less bandwidth for their site. What they're doing might not be against the law, because there is no law against it, in the country where the site originates. Certain sites located in the Indian subcontinent, including Pakistan and Sri Lanka, are notorious for unabashedly offering commercial fonts for free download, and when any of those sites is mentioned by name, or linked in the DaFont forums, the information is quickly removed.

Something like this may well have happened: A sweatshop in Bangladesh was looking for a font to use, free of charge, to make cheap quality T-shirts for international export. They found your font somewhere, and since there was no notice or documentation to the contrary, assumed that it was free to use, for all purposes. In good faith, Target purchased some of the shirts, assuming that the manufacturer had commercial rights to the content printed on the shirt.

An equivalent situation, in Law: You own an unique hand crafted ring, inherited from your grandmother. The ring is stolen in a burglary. The thief sells the ring to a pawn shop, for some money to by drugs. The pawnshop owner sells the ring to someone. You see that person wearing your ring, and call the police.

The police would not charge the person wearing your ring with theft, because they bought the ring in good faith from the pawnshop. The police would return the ring to you. The person who bought the ring would be entitled to a refund from the pawnshop. The police could charge the pawnshop owner with possession and sale of stolen merchandise, and they would threaten to do that, if the pawnshop owner did not give them the name of the junkie who sold them the ring.

The pawnshop owner gives the ring purchaser their money back, and gives the police the name of the junkie. They go catch him while he's high, and charge him with possession of the other things he's stolen, and hasn't sold yet.

In this example, the person who bought the ring in the pawnshop would be like Target, the T-shirt manufacturer would be like the pawnshop owner, and the thief would be the site that offered your font for free, but they can't be caught, because they're in a country that doesn't have an extradition treaty with yours.

If you tried to sue Target for lost income, Target would tell you that your legal issue is with the factory in Bangladesh, and legally, they would be right. You might be eligible to receive financial damages in civil court, provided that misappropriation of donationware fonts is a crime in Bangladesh. If the decision was determined by a Judge, the most crucial evidence would be whether or not the header in the font made specific reference to a fee for commercial use, with contact information for licensing inquiries. If that information is present, the manufacturer could not claim to not know of such a fee; saying that they don't read English would not be sufficient.

If the terms of use are absent from the header, however, you could not prove malicious intent on the part of the manufacturer. They could possibly offer to give you a small out of court settlement, but you would lose if the case came to court, (assuming no terms of use are in the header), because it would be argued that you were negligent by not stating the terms of use, and the shirt manufacturer did not knowingly infringe on license-able copy-written intellectual property.

Had the manufacturer known of a commercial use fee, they may well have chosen to use a different font instead, one made by someone else, with no usage strings attached.

Rather than try to be compensated after the fact for an error that may have been your fault, I'd suggest you capitalize on the promotion of your font that the T-shirt creates. You can say "Cookie Chips", as seen on this cheap T-Shirt, sold at Target", and that might ultimately do you more good than trying to get some money out of them now. What are they going to do, sue you for copyright infringement of their copyright infringement of you? If they took that one to court, you would win. Turn your lemons into lemonade, and protect your work better in the future, even if you feel you need to make updated versions of all of your submitted fonts, to add read me documents and additional header information.

Here's a static image of the T-Shirt:

If you want to use it, download the image, save it, and upload it somewhere else, or just use my link:

http://s26.postimg.org/4yhgfm1ix/Sisters_Forever.png

I used WinSnap3.5.5, a screen capture program, to make the image from the display on your page link in post #5. I don't know where you can get it; it was graciously provided to me by a link in the moderator's forum, when I had need of such an app, and I have been using it all the time, ever since.

~bobistheowl

Editado 2 veces. Última edición el 04/12/2014 a las 15:49 por koeiekat

This is not the same Cincinnati Reds lettering I asked about, in this thread: http://www.dafont.com/forum/read/170707/cincinnati-reds, which no one has been able to identify yet.

Huso horario CET. Ahora son las 08:17

Anuncio de mirz123
Política de Privacidad  -  Contacto