Anuncio de StephaneDumas

Foro

17 posts

I in need of some assistance.

03/11/2014 a las 07:40

Whenever I try to install a font, it installs it under Word, and now I can't use any of the fonts. I can't open them, and they don't appear in Gimp. Please help.

03/11/2014 a las 08:41

How do you install?

03/11/2014 a las 10:35

I use Google Chrome (but it also does this with Internet Explorer) and when I find a font, I just click download. Every single time it downloads into a Word document that will not open. I've tried looking through my settings on my computer, but nothing seems to work.

03/11/2014 a las 13:49

You have associated the zip extension with Word. Undo that.

03/11/2014 a las 18:05

I have no idea how to...

03/11/2014 a las 18:46

Start > Help

04/11/2014 a las 02:10

If you're using a Mac, right-click the font file (not the folder) and select Open With - Font Book. Click that and you will see a wondow. Then click "install".

04/11/2014 a las 09:06

That, Aquaflame, works with the font file. Reivivus, who is on Windows, never ever sees the zip that she downloads. She has set the zip association with Word, so the zip is downloaded OK but is not saved or opened with a zipper/unzipper but opened with Word. And Word, of course, can not handle a zip. Reivivus, alas, has no clue what she is doing.

Editado el 04/11/2014 a las 09:08 por koeiekat

04/11/2014 a las 09:42

04/11/2014 a las 10:47

Menhir, that does not solve the problem as she never sees, saves, opens the zip. The zip downloads straight into Word probably because she once downloaded a font (zip) and choose to open it in Word and ticked the Do this automatically for files like this from now on. box. How the option is named in Chrome? No idea.

05/11/2014 a las 13:45

Read this
http://www.wikihow.com/Associate-File-Types-in-Windows-8

it's not done in chrome or IE.

05/11/2014 a las 17:06

tophy52 ha dicho  
... it's not done in chrome or IE.

Sure? Firefox. Tools > Options ...

05/11/2014 a las 17:06

* Find a ZIP file in your download folder
* Right cllick on the ZIP file.
* Select Open with. Do you see any other program listed there aside from Word? You should also see Windows Explorer and some other programs, if you have other programs that can handle ZIP files.
* Do not select the listed programs, and select instead Choose default program... Choose a listed program that you wish to use to open ZIP files. If your choice is limited to Word and Windows Explorer, choose Windows Explorer.

* Download a font from Dafont and see what happens....

Downloading the free 7-Zip (http://www.7-zip.org/download.html) and installing it will automatically fix this ZIP file association issue. Also true for other archiver programs.

05/11/2014 a las 17:21

Yes Kat, that's what I said.
reivivus' request was for Chrome or IE.
here is the way with chrome (but only with Win7 and + )
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/change-google-chrome-file-association-53431.html

There's a saying in french for that :
Pourquoi faire simple quand on peut faire compliqué ?
Why make it simple when you can make it complicated?

Editado el 05/11/2014 a las 19:29 por tophy52

05/11/2014 a las 18:04

TCru, she doesn't have zips. When she wants to download a zip, that zip is not downloaded as a zip that can be saved but as if it were a file-type that can be read by Word. And Word has never learned to extract files from a zip and the do something with those files.
What is wrong with reading before writing?

05/11/2014 a las 20:50

koeiekat ha dicho  
You have associated the zip extension with Word. Undo that.

Isn't that what you think the problem is? That's also what I think it is and I laid down the simplest way to change the file association.

How about that damned zip file, you might ask. How sure are you she does not have a zip file in that download folder of hers. She must have at least one in her computer, the first one she associated with Word. If she could not find one, open Notepad and save a blank document as DAMNED.ZIP and Windows is not as smart as you are to be able tell that it is not a real ZIP file.

koeiekat ha dicho  
What is wrong with reading before writing?

You might be reading too much between the lines. Too bad, I don't read that way!

05/11/2014 a las 21:33

TCru ha dicho  
... She must have at least one in her computer, the first one she associated with Word. ...

When she associated the first zip with Word she never ever saved a zip.

Realize TCru, most of new Windows users follow Microsoft default settings, to not show extensions of known file types, so she thinks she is downloading a font file, ttf or otf, and she thinks a font is something for Word so she tells her browser to open the thing with Word and always do so.

Fatal, indeed. And taking the age of reivivus into account, the chances of her knowing the Windows potholes are small at least. No offense reivivus, it is as it is.

Huso horario CEST. Ahora son las 17:28

Política de Privacidad  -  Contacto