Anuncio de laurenashpole

Foro

13 posts

Ack. Can anyone literally just edit the numbers of a font for me?

29/07/2011 a las 05:40

I am trying to edit Arial, so I can have the numbers be a serif font... that way I can use it when I teach my students. Does anyone want to help out or direct me to the easiest way to do this?
I have tried playing around with FontCreator, but I am not so good at it .

Any advice would be wonderful!

29/07/2011 a las 17:37

Open a copy of the sans font you want to change. Goto format naming and change the name and so of the font. Save that copy under a new name (suggestion, totally mixed-up.ttf ). Open the serif font which numbers you want to use. Right click on 1 and copy. In your new totally mixed-up font right click on 1 and paste. 2 through 0 same thing.
Now your new totally mixed-up font has sans letters and serif numbers. Save. Goto format setting metrics and check the cap height of the font. Close settings. Double click 1, Edit select all. In the Transform toolbar (View Toolbars Transform) click Size. Validate Lock Aspect Ratio. Set the height at the capital height of the font and apply. Same for 2 through 0. Save.
Bingo!

Note: Don't use the Arial but a Public Domain sans that has a GNU General Public License like the Liberation Sans and for the serif you can use the Liberation Serif.

Editado 2 veces. Última edición el 29/07/2011 a las 17:52 por koeiekat

31/07/2011 a las 04:09

Thank you! Your post was extremely helpful. I am using TypeLight3.0 right now to play around with fonts, but the only thing I haven't figured out is how to resize a glyph to be larger.

I would give you a thumbs up if I could

Lauren

31/07/2011 a las 09:25

You said Font Creator didn't you?

01/08/2011 a las 15:48

Arial is a copyrighted font. It's forbinden to change it.

Just for my curiosity : why did you need a font without serif at the letters ans with serif at the numbers ?

01/08/2011 a las 18:12

Didn't I mumble something about don't use the Arial?

01/08/2011 a las 20:10

Yup--I am not using Arial. Just a look-a-like.

I need it for a math project I am creating. I'm an educator, and I need to have the font be a traditional font while having the equations be in a serif. Think of a textbook... except digital media is generally sans serif for text. I still want to keep the textbook feel using serif numbers.

I have FontCreator and TypeLight. So far I have had more luck with TL, just because it is easier for noobs. But advice for resizing would be great

Thanks, guys!!

01/08/2011 a las 20:31

Honestly, and forgive me if I'm seeing obtuse here, but why aren't you just using two fonts? Since you are seeming to seperate them out between your prose and equations, wouldn't that be the most logical option?

01/08/2011 a las 20:31

Lauren, please, read.

01/08/2011 a las 20:45

Thanks... didn't see the edit, Kat.

Jaynz, because if I have to stop every time I use a number or equation and highlight then change the font style, it will take me forever to finish my documents.

Some paragraphs in math texts have both prose and equations, whereas some are just equations. A font that does it for me = solution to my problems!

01/08/2011 a las 20:57

Do yourself a favor and get used to the formatting tools on any major word processor/document editor. You can select an area as 'equation' from then map that to whatever font or style you'll need from then on. (So if you find, say, you want to make the equations larger, or in a new color, you can simply change the style rather on the fly). The approach you're taking, in all honesty, will probably backfire on you in the long run.

01/08/2011 a las 21:09

I'm not using a word processor--I am writing code for computer programming and web design.

01/08/2011 a las 21:17

You're using SOMETHING to show your calculations and prose to the class? If it's just a web-page you should seriously consider using a CSS script for this purpose. At this point, though, I've given all the advice that I can.

Huso horario CET. Ahora son las 11:59

Política de Privacidad  -  Contacto